Engine Carburetor troubles..?

Scott66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I just joined the forum and would be grateful for some feedback concerning my issue.
Have an old Lowes lawn tractor from around 1992 that has a 12.5 HP B&S. The engine model # is a 289707
if that is helpful. It has been running fine for the most part for the last 26 yrs. It ran fine and cut grass fine just a few days ago and
then the next time I went to use it; now all the sudden the unit will stop running after a few mins and then conk out after sputtering a bit.
I've re-adjusted the mixture screw and checked and adjust the choke setting (it has a manual choke) and I still get the same issue of running
for a few mins., sputtering and then stalling. Everytime it does this the newly cleaned plug and have changed plugs too; it gets really black with soot. Not really saturated n fowled wet with oil though. Black, sooty and dry though. I've dropped the bowl to clean out debris and checked the float drop and it seems all okay.

Can anyone offer some input please as to what i should check for ? Thank you in advance for answer(s).

Scott66

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi All,

I just joined the forum and would be grateful for some feedback concerning my issue.
Have an old Lowes lawn tractor from around 1992 that has a 12.5 HP B&S. The engine model # is a 289707
if that is helpful. It has been running fine for the most part for the last 26 yrs. It ran fine and cut grass fine just a few days ago and
then the next time I went to use it; now all the sudden the unit will stop running after a few mins and then conk out after sputtering a bit.
I've re-adjusted the mixture screw and checked and adjust the choke setting (it has a manual choke) and I still get the same issue of running
for a few mins., sputtering and then stalling. Everytime it does this the newly cleaned plug and have changed plugs too; it gets really black with soot. Not really saturated n fowled wet with oil though. Black, sooty and dry though. I've dropped the bowl to clean out debris and checked the float drop and it seems all okay.

Can anyone offer some input please as to what i should check for ? Thank you in advance for answer(s).

Scott66

It restarts right away?
It restarts in 10 minutes?
It restart the next day?

It seems to be fuel related...try and loosen the gas cap when it sputters.
Why did you mess with the mixture screw? It was fine for 26 years.

Scott66

Forum Newbie
Threads
It restarts right away?
It restarts in 10 minutes?
It restart the next day?

It seems to be fuel related...try and loosen the gas cap when it sputters.
Why did you mess with the mixture screw? It was fine for 26 years.

Thanks for input. The gas caps vent hole cracked and a top piece missing to where the vent hole is. Vent hole is completely exposed now.
Been like that the last few times I've used the mower and with no issue til now. Have not checked for restart right away, or in 10 mins.
as I've been checking the plug and see its not clean burning looking so i give the plug a quick cleaning ea. time its shown unusually high carbon deposits which is every time it does this. My battery is compromised in that it doesn't hold a charge very well. Next day is ok starting though as i've thrown a quick charge on the battery.

I checked the mixture screw to be sure it was adjusted properly. Though possibly it might have changed enough to cause a problem. One might also ask why I checked and readjusted the manual choke cable setting too.
Sometimes I get backfire upon shutting the engine off. Just one pop. Been doing that for a few years now tho off n on. Not a real detriment to performance though IMHO.
Do you think the coil might not be delivering a hot enough spark after its been running for a few mins ? Thanks.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for input. The gas caps vent hole cracked and a top piece missing to where the vent hole is. Vent hole is completely exposed now.
Been like that the last few times I've used the mower and with no issue til now. Have not checked for restart right away, or in 10 mins.
as I've been checking the plug and see its not clean burning looking so i give the plug a quick cleaning ea. time its shown unusually high carbon deposits which is every time it does this. My battery is compromised in that it doesn't hold a charge very well. Next day is ok starting though as i've thrown a quick charge on the battery.

I checked the mixture screw to be sure it was adjusted properly. Though possibly it might have changed enough to cause a problem. One might also ask why I checked and readjusted the manual choke cable setting too.
Sometimes I get backfire upon shutting the engine off. Just one pop. Been doing that for a few years now tho off n on. Not a real detriment to performance though IMHO.
Do you think the coil might not be delivering a hot enough spark after its been running for a few mins ? Thanks.

Get a new battery

When it dies is when you have to determine if it is not sparking or not getting fuel...

Give it a shot of starting fluid and see if it restarts...if it does it is a fuel problem.

Scott66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a new battery

When it dies is when you have to determine if it is not sparking or not getting fuel...

Give it a shot of starting fluid and see if it restarts...if it does it is a fuel problem.

Where do you give it a blast of starting fluid ? Down into the air horn of the carb ? Am asking cuz I'd have to pull the top cover of the Air Filter
and then completely remove the filter cartridge 1st too before i can get a direct shot into the carb throat ??. Or should I quickly remove the spark plug and shoot a blast directly into the cylinder, reinstall the plug n wire and then start it ? Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where do you give it a blast of starting fluid ? Down into the air horn of the carb ? Am asking cuz I'd have to pull the top cover of the Air Filter
and then completely remove the filter cartridge 1st too before i can get a direct shot into the carb throat ??. Or should I quickly remove the spark plug and shoot a blast directly into the cylinder, reinstall the plug n wire and then start it ? Thanks

:thumbsup:

Air cleaner covers have holes in them to let the air in...find one and shot a little spray in there.