drive train will not engage- wet sensor??

dickhob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a hustler raptor sd. while mowing around my pond I got too close and slipped in. Water was up to about 4 inches below gas cap on the left side. I pulled the mower out. The motor starts and runs fine, but when I try to go forward (or Backward) there is no power to the drive train. I pulled up the seat. There are sensor like buttons at the base of the drive arms. the left one was in the water (the right was not)

I'm thinking this might be wet and must dry out before the drive is operational again.

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

Also, is there a "neutral" or correct position if I want to tow it back home- about 1500 yards?

thanks
DickHob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The sensors are safety switches ans if the engine starts & blade turn on then they are working properly .
The drive is hydraulic so if the drive belt is still in position turning the pumps then it should move when the arms are moved.
How did you get he mower out of the pond ?
Did some one help you ?
Each side has a bypass valve and if some one more experienced with ZTR's helped pull it out they would have opened the bypass valve so it could be moved easily.
Your owners manual has the instructions for towing ( or pushing ) with the exact location of the bypasses.

mhavanti

Threads
dickhob,

Did you find the two little thumb hole rods at the rear of the machine below the engine? Pull them out and to one side until they lock in the out position. Then you can pull or push it.

Good luck,

Max

ukrkoz

Threads
I am with bertsmobile1. Hydros belt slipped off.

Mower King

Threads
We have found that the Hustler Raptors drive belt will slip when driving, just from setting out in the rain and getting water on the drive belt, not sure what they were thinking on that design on those Raptors......a wet drive belt could be your problem.

ukrkoz

Threads
To be honest, owning 1.25acre of wetland, I had my Hustlers soaked in water and mud many times. Never had belt slip.

mhavanti

Threads
ukrkoz,

I haven't experienced the belt slipping when wet whether it was my washing (soaking) or running thru water when forced a couple of times. Enough to get my feet wet.

Perhaps you and I are about to in the future. lol

Max