Advice on mowing options for mixed jobs

Alagator28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

Recently purchased a 2.5 acre property with mixed terrain and vegetation. I'm new to mowing and farm equipment so I've been researching the best option to mow it all. Here is the breakdown:

• 1 acre of grass (and some trees). Currently mowing behind regular walk behind mower.
  • 1.5 acres of wild field grass and other vegetation (many small trees, no slope). Currently left wild, occasionally trimming certain areas by hand with Stihl trimmer. I wouldn't need to mow this more than 2 or 3 times per year.
  • 0.5 acres or less of white clover (some small trees). Walk behind mower overheats and won't cut this thick, juicy area so I've been using the Stihl trimmer.

Does anyone have any good ideas on cost-efficient solutions? ATV with a pull behind brush mower would work fine for some areas but not well for many obstacles. I do need an ATV for other work so I still might purchase one. Walk behind brush mower would work but I have to walk! Riding mower would be great for the grass area but couldn't tackle the field... Unless you're aware of a heavy duty riding mower or one which can change into a brush mower.

Thoughts?

P. S. I've attached a photo showing the different types of vegetation. The area in the distance is farmed, not mine to maintain.

Attachments

• 20180827_185503.jpg
    20180827_185503.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 16

Alagator28

Forum Newbie
Threads
I assume that no replies means that such a machine that can do it all doesn't exist.

Thanks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
48 inch commercial walk-behind with a stand-up sulky would be my pick. Will go almost anywhere and do almost anything. I love my Exmark Turf Tracer with Bullrider sulky combo.

ukrkoz

Threads
Looks like you need a brush hog. If you do it 2-3 times a year, you WILL end in very tall vegetation and any mowers will choke on it. Plus, you never know what is hidden in the brush depths - rocks and tree stumps. You'll find out though.
I say you need two mowers. A used rider off craigslist and walk behind DR self propelled or any other walk behind brush hog with rear discharge. I think best you can get is 48 inch. they are PRICY. Maybe look into used one.
Unless you mow that property twice a month, then, after first mow with a rental brush hog, you can do it with a powerful enough ZTR. ZTR will go around trees very tight. But that's once a month at the least.
https://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/walk-behind-rough-cut-mowers.html

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello All,

Recently purchased a 2.5 acre property with mixed terrain and vegetation. I'm new to mowing and farm equipment so I've been researching the best option to mow it all. Here is the breakdown:

• 1 acre of grass (and some trees). Currently mowing behind regular walk behind mower.
  • 1.5 acres of wild field grass and other vegetation (many small trees, no slope). Currently left wild, occasionally trimming certain areas by hand with Stihl trimmer. I wouldn't need to mow this more than 2 or 3 times per year.
  • 0.5 acres or less of white clover (some small trees). Walk behind mower overheats and won't cut this thick, juicy area so I've been using the Stihl trimmer.

Does anyone have any good ideas on cost-efficient solutions? ATV with a pull behind brush mower would work fine for some areas but not well for many obstacles. I do need an ATV for other work so I still might purchase one. Walk behind brush mower would work but I have to walk! Riding mower would be great for the grass area but couldn't tackle the field... Unless you're aware of a heavy duty riding mower or one which can change into a brush mower.

Thoughts?

P. S. I've attached a photo showing the different types of vegetation. The area in the distance is farmed, not mine to maintain.

Garden tractors are the most versatile for your needs.