Cub Cadet Enforcer Electrical Issue

christophert

Threads
A customer brought a Cub Cadet Enforcer into our shop with a major electrical issue. The original Kohler engine had blown up, so he installed a larger Kohler 24HP Model (KT-735-3104) replacement engine which was not interchangeable with the factory harness. Well, he cut and spliced the original wiring harness so it would run, but it had a short in it causing it not to charge and burning up batteries as well. He brought it in and I ordered a replacement harness from Cub Cadet and pulled out the old harness and installed the new. I discovered while doing this that several grounds had been cut off and deleted, the drive belt was sawing the main ground wire in two (since replaced and rerouted), and the rectifier was bad. I have replaced the bad components and when I went to start it, the starter engages the flywheel and will not disengage. The wiring is hooked up exactly as before (the plug-ins.) I did replace the ignition switch with a factory Cud Cadet one for this unit. Where do I need to look next? This unit has been Pandora's Box because of the customer's engine swap and subsequent rewire (with a short) that required the new harness. I appreciate any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the trigger wires to the solenoid for voltage in the on position.
If it is energised all the time there is a wiring fault, trace it back from the trigger wire.
If it energises momentarily then the solenoid is faulty.

christophert

Threads
Check the trigger wires to the solenoid for voltage in the on position.
If it is energised all the time there is a wiring fault, trace it back from the trigger wire.
If it energises momentarily then the solenoid is faulty.

Thanks, Ill start looking there!

christophert

Threads
Thanks, Ill start looking there!
The switch wire to the solenoid (red w/ black stripe) does not energize until you go to start it. The solenoid was a little iffy when I tested it so I did replace it as well, but still the same issue. The battery wire (red) energizes when the switch is turned on, then you have the purple (which connects to the red w/black stripe as it was wired before), white, then 2 green ground wires. It is possible the owner had rewired wrong and I just rewired the plug the same bad way? The engine plug on his engine is not compatible with the harness on the lawnmower.

christophert

Threads
The switch wire to the solenoid (red w/ black stripe) does not energize until you go to start it. The solenoid was a little iffy when I tested it so I did replace it as well, but still the same issue. The battery wire (red) energizes when the switch is turned on, then you have the purple (which connects to the red w/black stripe as it was wired before), white, then 2 green ground wires. It is possible the owner had rewired wrong and I just rewired the plug the same bad way? The engine plug on his engine is not compatible with the harness on the lawnmower.

The starter was the issue for not disengaging from the flywheel (it was bad though new.) I replaced it and it now starts and runs. The charging issue is another mess. After replacing everything, and repairing the numerous missing grounds, burnt up recitifer, bad stator, etc...I spoke at length to Cub Cadet Technical Support (which in turn consulted their engineers)and they concluded the type engine this customer installed (Kohler 24HP KT 735) is not really compatible with this particular Cub Cadet Zero Turn (Model#53ah3gn050). You can make it run, but it will have of electrical issues (I can testify to this!)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If he still has the original engine he needs to swap over the alternators including the fly wheels if the magnets on the new one are smaller.
Engines for manual PTO mowers or walk behinds have smaller output alternators.