Toro 20333 transmission issue, how do I service it?

linkage

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 20333 transmission issue, how do I service it?
My Toro mower has a personal pace self-propel feature that does not work. I took off the cover that is covering the belts and it appears the transmission belt is properly seated in both pulleys. I went to the Toro website and found the parts pdf for my model# 20333 (serial# range 310000001 and Up) but there is no exploded view of the transmission. I unscrewed all the torx screws on the bottom (or top?) of the transmission but it won't open. It is sealed like it is one piece but there is clearly a seam. The manufacturer brand information on the transmission is indecipherable. Has anyone worked on this model, do you have any advice?

deminin

Threads
My Toro mower has a personal pace self-propel feature that does not work. I took off the cover that is covering the belts and it appears the transmission belt is properly seated in both pulleys. I went to the Toro website and found the parts pdf for my model# 20333 (serial# range 310000001 and Up) but there is no exploded view of the transmission. I unscrewed all the torx screws on the bottom (or top?) of the transmission but it won't open. It is sealed like it is one piece but there is clearly a seam. The manufacturer brand information on the transmission is indecipherable. Has anyone worked on this model, do you have any advice?

Here's a couple of web sites that might help.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmaQ7LxXZw

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-F...-lawn-mower-parts-c-121776_127291_127879.html

https://media.toro.com/Documents/safety/Toro_WPM_Transmission_Release.pdf

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times on that model problem is one of three things. Drive cable not adjusted properly. Worn belt. Worn drive or wheel gears. A bad tranny is way down on the list.

linkage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most times on that model problem is one of three things. Drive cable not adjusted properly. Worn belt. Worn drive or wheel gears. A bad tranny is way down on the list.

Ok. I've adjusted the drive cable and I can see that when I put tension on it the transmission contacts the belt. I marked the belt and the pulley on the belt with magic marker and I made two attempts to engage the cable. The wheel gears look fine, I took the wheels off and attempted to engage with them off to watch the gears and nothing happened. The belt and the pulley did not move at all, all markings are still in the same position, so maybe it is not the transmission. Also, the service manual says the transmission is not serviceable, so hopefully it's not the transmission.

I took the blade and the cover in that area off and I can see if I move the transmission belt with my hands that it turns some gear in that blade area back and forth a little (but not a full rotation), so I think the belt is probably correctly seated. Where do you suggest I go from here, am I going to have to remove the blade brake clutch and whatever it is to check that area? Do you know of a good writeup for this problem from someone that's already dealt with it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just because the belt looks good does not mean that it is not worn. I still would be replacing the drive belt, plus as long as you have it apart, I would also replace the BBC belt. For the novice this is not an easy job and if you attemp to do this make sure you have a helper around. It takes me about an hour to do this job, so I would say it will take you a bit longer with an assistant. Take pics as your are removing parts. As you are reassembling, constantly check that all belts and pulleys constantly move freely, especially the BBC belt. Tight this bolt a little at a time and constantly check that the belt is not being pinched in the two part pulley. This repair can be done by a novice, but be prepared to stop, backup, and repeat steps. This manual might also help you. https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/do...MI3rPmmqWw3QIVDL7ACh3jxQupEAAYASAAEgII5vD_BwE