Need some help

Mikkeeh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a sr651 on a zero turn. Bought new, 7 yrs old, 430 hrs. Always well maintained. Started it today, ran about 2 minutes and sputtered, like it was running out of gas. I reached around to switch tanks, and it started smoking like crazy. White smoke. No obvious metallic sounds...I shut it off and towed it back to the barn. It’s will start, but run only on full choke....lots of smoke. I pulled valve covers....everything moves like it should....i readjusted the rocker clearance.....no change. I did a compression check. 160 in both cylinders.....really?
I’m thinking heads gasket?. Any thoughts appreciated.

Threads
T- Mike if you have 160 in both cyl's then I don't think it's head gaskets the way you mention it.... White smoke is raw unburn't gas / fuel........

When was the last time you ran the mower ????? Sounds like a carb/ fuel issue because of it running on choke only.....

Did it start smoking like that a lil while after you switched tanks ???? Maybe some trash got in the carb causing your issue......

Let us know MoN Ami ~!~!

Threads
We are gonna need more info on the engine also ....... Full model number is a must on here..... Sounds like a Kawi to me but is it a V or S ????

Mikkeeh

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was run 5 days prior with no issues.

Last edited:

geelee

Threads
is there a possibility that diesel fuel or kerosene was put in fuel tank by accident? seen it done before. smokes and runs bad.

Mikkeeh

Forum Newbie
Threads
is there a possibility that diesel fuel or kerosene was put in fuel tank by accident? seen it done before. smokes and runs bad.

Not likely....but possible. I drained and flushed the fuel system today just to be safe. Haven’t tried to start it
Yet.

geelee

Threads
check that you don't have gas in crankcase due to faulty float needle in carb, oil will be overfilled and oil on dipstick will light wilt a match.

Mikkeeh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turned out to be contaminated fuel. Had just emptied a 5 gal can. I assume some contaminants had settled to the bottom. Fuel in the tank smelled like crap. Had used probably 3 gal from the 5 gal can recently without issue. Best I can figure, the fuel was contaminated from the gas station. Most of the crap had settled to the bottom...which I dumped into my mower. Rinsed the tank, blew out the lines, drained the fuel bowl, and changed the filter. All is well. Thanks to all for the input.