Craftsman pulling problems

goosemasterkl

Threads
I'm working on a Craftsman YS4500 model# 917.276680 42" cut riding mower. My friend brought it to me with it not wanting to pull up a small incline. So I replaced the drive belt; still won't pull. Then I replaced both V pulley's and the idler pulley and the idler return spring; still won't pull. I then exchanged the aftermarket drive belt with an original Craftsman 140218 drive belt; still won't pull. After I finally installed all these different parts I was test driving it on an incline and I reached down and pulled the brake pedal to me very so slightly and it would climb a telephone pole. PLEASE someone tell me what my problem is. Oh so many Thanks to anyone who may reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tension on the belt , thus the ability of the belt to turn the pulleys comes from a big spring under the deck.
There is a smaller spring that returns the pedal.
The big spring cuts grooves in the mounting bolts / holes and can rip out & fall off or just cut right through and fall off.
The hole that the tension arm rotates in flogs oval so full tension can not get applied to the belt.

goosemasterkl

Threads
bertsmobile1; I replaced the idler return spring that attaches to the side of the mower frame. Is this the spring your talking about? Where is the smaller spring that returns the pedal? Is it the one on the end of the brake rod back by the transaxle? Thanks

mhavanti

Threads
Another thing to consider are the engine drive pulley, variable rate pulley are both warn enough the belts are bottoming out in the pulley thus you have to pull back on the brake pedal to exert more pressure on the belt.

Check the pulleys.

goosemasterkl

Threads
bertsmobile1;I replaced #161 spring and it was approximately 3/8" shorter than the old one I took off so that ought to give more tension on the belt correct? I put all new pulley's and idler pulley according to the diagram. The belt was also per item # in diagram. I put the spring in the exact place I took the old one off from. Reckon it could be the transaxle pulley or the pulley on the engine like mhavanti suggested? Thanks anyone helping me out.

goosemasterkl

Threads
The new drive belt is like 1/2" x 84.50. If the trans pulley or the engine pulley is worn; could I use a shorter drive belt so maybe it would get a better fit in the pulley's?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can pull the brake pedal back towards you something is stopping the clutch fully releasing.
The nett effect is like driving a manual with you foot resting heavily on the clutch pedal.

So get it up in the air & get under the mower while some one works the clutch brake pedal including pulling it back up.
Could be the PO had put the spring in the wrong hole in the frame or one of the bolts holding the idlers in is sitting proud & fouling on the frame.
Also check right back at the brake section as it can hang there as well.

The tension on that spring is the only thing that drives the mower.

If you had both the float & V idlers off at the same time double check you have put them on in the right place.
It is easy to invert them, you would not be the first, nor the last to do it. :ashamed::ashamed:

Last edited:

snookerly

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is practical for you, go to a nearby garage and have an expert look at it

goosemasterkl

Threads
Does anybody have a service manual for this model 917.276680? Maybe it will show me something I may be overlooking