Case 120 starting issue

bradb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a 1980 Case 120 lawn tractor. It was working fine but soon started having issues starting. Finally it crapped out.

The solenoid would click and the starter would attempt to turn but would only get the engine to slightly move. I did a jump test on the solenoid and the same thing happened. I replaced the starter with a working used one. Still the same problem, although at times the starter can move the engine further.

Purchased a new solenoid and since I am mechanically "Declined", confusion ensued.

I have attached pics of the mess of wires I have. The previous owner replaced the ignition with a push button switch. My question is how do I hook up the solenoid now?

Also, when I checked the oil, it overflowed as soon as I took the cap off. It appears to have gas mixed with the oil. I drained it down to the proper level.

Any ideas what to do next once I get the solenoid hooked up?

Pic 1 is the starter side. There are 3 wires from the starter. 2 large and 1 small.

Pic 2 is the 4 post solenoid

Pic 3 shows the 2 wires from the starter switch, 1 ground wire, and the positivce battery cable.

Any help is appreciated.

20180906_184604.png20180906_184716.png20180906_184707.png

NorthBama

Threads
first thing you need to post the engine model number
if you have gas in the oil do not try to run the engine. you have carburetor problems that must be address first.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
What you have described is called a hydro lock.
It happens because the float needle in the carb failed to stop the fuel flowing.
The bowl overfilled and the fuel dribbled down the manifold into the cylinder past the rings and into the sump.
When you tried to crank the engine it had liquid fuel where the air:fuel mix should have been which does not compress so the engine locks up & the starter can not turn the engine over.
The crankcase being over full of the fuel - oil mix will spew oil out of the breather into the carb making the hydrolock even more sever .

So you will need to start by cleaning the carb and making sure the float valve cuts the fuel off before it touches the top of the carb.
Then remove the air filter ( if it is paper ) and check it for oil damage .
Remove the spark plug and rotate the engine .
Chances are the starter will now spin the engine, if not then turn it over by hand it no more oil blows out.
Replace the oil with fresh supermarket oil because you will be tossing it out very soon.
Get a new spark plug and attempt to start the engine, even is you have to jump directly to the starter motor.
If it runs, do a normal mow then change the oil & fliter ( if fitted ).
If you bought a 2 quart bottle of oil then change it a second time after the next mow and then go back to your regular oil.

As for the wiring it would be good if you could start a second thread called "Case 120 wiring mess " or similar.
Take photos of all of the wiring, the key switch, the solenoid the starter , seat switch ( if fitted ) brake & blade switches.
And of course the push switch.

bradb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I will do that tomorrow and let you know what happens

once that is done I will start a new thread on the wiring mess

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks.
Multiple problems in a single thread gets very confusing.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi bradb,
You do not have a Case 120 which has a horizontal oriented engine and would be much older.
You have one of the Case/Ingersoll lawn tractors which have a vertical shaft Briggs & Stratton engine.
You may consider becoming a member of casecoltingersoll.com group where there is a lot of information regarding these tractors.