Uneven cutting problem

rigoletto

Threads
People,

Have an old MTD, double blade mower, and noticed grasss is not cut evenly. For example, the most noticeable affect is when I make a turn and the outside radius , right at the farthest edge of the blade "cut line" will be lowwer, even gouging the lawn at times. Anyone know what I should check first?

Thanks.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
People,

Have an old MTD, double blade mower, and noticed grasss is not cut evenly. For example, the most noticeable affect is when I make a turn and the outside radius , right at the farthest edge of the blade "cut line" will be lowwer, even gouging the lawn at times. Anyone know what I should check first?

Thanks.

It would help US to help YOU, if you posted your machines info. usually found on a sticker under the seat ... see EXAMPLE

ID 4.PNG .......... sounds as though your cutting deck needs adjusting.....it's in the owners guide if you have that.

dfbroxy

Threads
Check the air pressure in all the tires.

rigoletto

Threads
It would help US to help YOU, if you posted your machines info. usually found on a sticker under the seat ... see EXAMPLE

View attachment 40321 .......... sounds as though your cutting deck needs adjusting.....it's in the owners guide if you have that.

Sorry, Boo, it is 13A4667 F118.

rigoletto

Threads
Check the air pressure in all the tires.

Good tip, DF. I have a pen type guage for cars, but that is too "strong" for my MTD as those tires psi is much lower. Any idea what the bigger rear tires psi should be? I will check my tires side wall to see but am afraid they are too old to read(?).

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Recommended nower tire pressure is usually in range of 10 to 12 psi and not the max psi listed on the sidewalk which is usually in the 20s

Gearjammer

Threads
Another thing to check is a loose spindle or broken "ear" on one of the spindles that lets the blade lean a little in the turns. An ever-so-slightly bent blade or a dull blade along the end of the blade can also "stripe" the lawn. Believe me when I tell you if this is your problem, it will work its way out to where you can easily discover what's wrong! Good luck. Gearjammer

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have owners manual ? Tire PSI would be in there.

Once tires are set, get under mower (on a LEVEL surface) & hand turn blades to get the blade tips to meet in the center, they should be even on cutting edges. Then spin them 180 & check other ends, same way. If they are all even, then you need to check deck levelness.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You say the mower is OLD, just how OLD is the mower.
People never ever grease or oil all of the deck hangers & supports so the holes all flog out and the pins wear thin.
This drastically changes the way the deck hangs & the way it will respond to turns.