The dreaded tire not seating on the rim problem

gladiator801

Threads
Just got two new Carlisle Multi trac tire 24x9.50x12 and tried getting new tire to seat on rim { have changed many tires in my 66 years farm boy } after two hours of trying different means strapping around tire , putting on wood blocks I went on facebook and read about the starting fluid method I was wary of the explosive method so tried opening up beads with 12 inch blocks of wood and left them for 4 hours They seem to stay open wider so I put them back on rim and still could not seat the tire. So I got our the starting fluid spray and water house to put out the fire. Sprayed the fluid around the rim and used propane torch to ignite it Boom pop it was seated and I added air quickly to hold it on rim Seems unsafe but they even had this method shown on Popular Mechanics website

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes have seen it & in extreme cases have used it.
Did you remove the valve and try inflating the tyre with an air duster pressed into the valve tube ?.
Usually that will get the air in quicker than it can get past the rim.
Because most tyres now days come from China packed into shipping containers they get squashed flat to pack one into the box.
Some places do this with hot tyres right out of the mould so they end up squashed flat.
With these fitting a tube , blowing it up and leaving it in the sun for a few days will generally bring the tyre back into shape

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got two new Carlisle Multi trac tire 24x9.50x12 and tried getting new tire to seat on rim { have changed many tires in my 66 years farm boy } after two hours of trying different means strapping around tire , putting on wood blocks I went on facebook and read about the starting fluid method I was wary of the explosive method so tried opening up beads with 12 inch blocks of wood and left them for 4 hours They seem to stay open wider so I put them back on rim and still could not seat the tire. So I got our the starting fluid spray and water house to put out the fire. Sprayed the fluid around the rim and used propane torch to ignite it Boom pop it was seated and I added air quickly to hold it on rim Seems unsafe but they even had this method shown on Popular Mechanics website

I have had luck using a racket strap around the tire and if needed in a spot an extra "C" clamp or two.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The starting fluid tire bead trick is one that truckers have used for many decades in a pinch. :thumbsup:

gladiator801

Threads
At the truck garage at work they had a bead setting tank, it was basically a 7 gallon air tank with a valve stem to fill it and a 2.5 inch outlet pipe a 2.5 inch ball valve with 2.5 inch copper pipe smashed down to fit under rim lip 100 psi out 2,5 inch pipe and tire popped out on rim I used it a couple of times and it worked well.