1320 Hydro Transaxle locked up

aven2rus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower quit at end of my gravel driveway, been waiting on coil and was running it working on sizing a belt for the deck.

I pulled the engage/disengage lever and pulled it at walking pace for about 30' when the wheels locked up.

Runs fine but the wheels are locked up the drive lever will not move.

Is this a fatal error of is there a fix?

CC2.jpg

CC1.jpg

CC3.jpg

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mower quit at end of my gravel driveway, been waiting on coil and was running it working on sizing a belt for the deck.

I pulled the engage/disengage lever and pulled it at walking pace for about 30' when the wheels locked up.

Runs fine but the wheels are locked up the drive lever will not move.

Is this a fatal error of is there a fix?

View attachment 40309

View attachment 40310

View attachment 40311

Could you jack up the back end(get weight off tires) and then try operating the engage/disengage lever...possibly wiggling the rear wheels a little?

aven2rus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could you jack up the back end(get weight off tires) and then try operating the engage/disengage lever...possibly wiggling the rear wheels a little?

The wheels turn opposing directions with ease.

Will not move when lowered to the floor unless I jack only one tire of floor. the floor.

CC4.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wheels turn opposing directions with ease.

Will not move when lowered to the floor unless I jack only one tire of floor. the floor.

View attachment 40313

Your brake is locked on.
The brake is on the layshaft so it locks the diff which causes the wheels to turn in opposite direction.
Pull it apart clean it out, particularly the two pins, be careful not to loose the shim that goes under one or both of the pads.
The centre bolt is the adjustment bolt, do not touch it, undo the two small bolts at either end of caliper and take some photos of the return spring set up before you start.

aven2rus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found this diagram of my assembly:

So remove the rod that goes into the top of #32 and leave the nut #30 alone.

Clean #33 and pay close attention to #38

Return spring is on the rod that goes onto #32 and looks like I can leave in place removing it at the hole on #32

Greatly appreciate your help. Will post up the results.

iplimage_png (2).jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEp, you have go it.
I was being lazy and did not look up the parts breakdown for your mower.
Some have a clock spring to return the actuating lever on one of the caliper studs, but yours has bolts.

Adjusting the brake is really tricky cause the clutch & brake are on the same pedal so best left alone .
I use some dry lithium spray grease on the pins then leave all the parts for 10 minutes while the propellent dries off before assembly.