Menards

SidecarFlip

Threads
One showed up here with plans for 2 more. It is amazing that I have never heard of them then all of a sudden...

They actually got their start around here. I find them to be very competitive and even better pricing than Lowes or Home Despot. and I really like the 11% rebate on everything they run regularly. I see Lowes has gotten wise to it as well and is doing the same thing now.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lowes gives a military/veteran discount, think it's 10% ? It helps.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I find the sales associates at Menards much more attuned to their products than Lowes associates and friendlier as well. At our local Lowes, the employees act like they don't want to be there. Not so at Menards. If you compare prices, I think you'll find that Menards is across the board lower than the 2 other competitors. Only thing I don't like about Menards is their power tool selection. No common name brands carried like Dewalt or Milwaukee.

deminin

Threads
We have both Lowe's and Menard's in our area, and there is an increasing difference between the two...especially in employee presence and knowledge. There is always someone nearby at Menard's to help with questions, etc., whereas at Lowe's it seems increasingly hard to find an employee. Menard's always seems to have 3 or 4 checkout lanes open, whereas Lowe's seems to increasingly want everyone to use their self-checkout line...and the 1 regular cashier that may be open always seems to have a long line of people waiting.

Lowe's parking lot is increasingly more empty, while Menard's seems to have a lot of traffic...I suspect Cutting Back on employees at Lowe's is going to hurt them in the future.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Happens when the accountants take over ,

Accountants have a big problem with spread sheets.

They believe that if it works on a spread sheet it MUST work in real life.

They are systematically destroying most companies and by default peoples life as well.

Lowes opened up down here in partnership with Woolworths

They employed a lot of long term unemployed people to man their stores, way more than the dominant store Bunnings which had 72% of the market.
The government pays 1/2 the wages when you employ long time unemployed and gives you a further payment if you train the same people with a transferrable skill.

The the accountant's spread sheets showed they could outstaff Bunnings for far less money so every one would go to Masters rather than Bunnings.
However the spread sheets do not take into account that in a hardwear store, the staff actually have to know hardwear not just what isle to look in.

This and other highly arrogant (miss)managments cause the venture to fail miserably and Woolworths to show their first trading loss in 60 years.