2000 Grasshopper 721

66vette

Threads
I have the Kubota Gas water cooled engine. The problem I have is when I start mowing I have to go around some obstructions, consequently I am going at the slowest speed and the engine is still cold. The Grasshopper keeps jerking going forward or backward with the hand controls oscillating back and forth if I don't have my hands on them. I have changed belts, hydraulic fluid and filters. Everything works fine at high speed and after it warms up, slow speed works fine also.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not know what your knowledge level is so this is not an insult but just putting it out there.
The engine should only run at full speed. Every part of the mower is designed to work the best at wide open throttle.
The engine should be warmed up before use. If the engine is warm so will the trans.

66vette

Threads
Always mow at wide open throttle. Engine is not warmed up when I first start mowing, since it is a water cooled engine.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I too run a water cooled engine. The way mine works it heats up faster than an air cooled engine. The water does nothing till engine come up to temp and because my engine does not have cooling fins it gets warm fast. I let mine idle for about 1 min as I adjust me and my controls before I take it off the trailer.

Threads
These mowers have dampers that are located under the seat and dampen the shock movement of the handle. When these go bad the handles may get "jumpy" or "jerky" feeling. The part number for this is 285025 for the right side handle and 285030 for the left side handle. Another point is that system is a high pressure system using Gemini transmission. Paired with a high pressure system and bad dampers it will may seem like it will throw out of the seat! Hope that helps some.

66vette

Threads
These mowers have dampers that are located under the seat and dampen the shock movement of the handle. When these go bad the handles may get "jumpy" or "jerky" feeling. The part number for this is 285025 for the right side handle and 285030 for the left side handle. Another point is that system is a high pressure system using Gemini transmission. Paired with a high pressure system and bad dampers it will may seem like it will throw out of the seat! Hope that helps some.

I phoned my local Grasshopper dealer and he has both in stock for $29.95 each, I will pick up tomorrow. I haven't looked at my grasshopper yet to see what is entailed changing them out but I would think it is a simple job. When I confirmed the part numbers in my manual it appeared to me that the dampers are for side movement of the handles rather than forward or backward, maybe I am not understanding your explanation as to why this would be the cause, but I will try regardless. I definitely agree with you in regard to the handles oscillating very fast that it seems like it could throw you out of the seat.

66vette

Threads

I want to thank you for providing me with the solution. I installed new dampers this morning and everything worked like it is supposed to, no jumping. I was completely wrong, after looking at where the dampers are fastened, with my assumption regarding the correlation of the dampers with the handles.

Threads
Good to hear that you was able to fix it! I'm a dealer and see those out a lot of times! Most people don't realize they are bad until they start doing what you explained. Good news is they are usually easy to fix and relatively cheap too!