Help me choose a chainsaw

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to give my husband a chainsaw. But I do not understand this at all :frown:. Help with the choice. Thank you :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Decide how much you are willing to spend & then give him a store voucher.
Chain saws are a very personnal type of tool , not to mention very dangerous.
So it needs to be something he is comfortable using, can start easily and will do what you want it for.
Pro grade gear is expensive but I for one would never bother with anything else.
I still lend out my Stihl 070 ( 1986 ) and the Stihl 045 ( 1993 ) to customers when I get behind with the repairs.
They both cost over a full months salary when I bought them ( the 070 was 3 months salary ) and that is the sort of price you will need to pay for a quality saw.
Brand names mean nothing now day.
All the big brand names sell junk as well as top quality while some of the unknown names coming out of China are really good ( most are temporary diverted landfill ).

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
Decide how much you are willing to spend & then give him a store voucher.
Chain saws are a very personnal type of tool , not to mention very dangerous.
So it needs to be something he is comfortable using, can start easily and will do what you want it for.
Pro grade gear is expensive but I for one would never bother with anything else.
I still lend out my Stihl 070 ( 1986 ) and the Stihl 045 ( 1993 ) to customers when I get behind with the repairs.
They both cost over a full months salary when I bought them ( the 070 was 3 months salary ) and that is the sort of price you will need to pay for a quality saw.
Brand names mean nothing now day.
All the big brand names sell junk as well as top quality while some of the unknown names coming out of China are really good ( most are temporary diverted landfill ).

Thanks for you answer.
I just read the article and there they are just writing about STIHL.
This firm is compared to Husqvarna.
Is there anything you can say?

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for you answer.
I just read the article and there they are just writing about STIHL.
This firm is compared to Husqvarna.
Is there anything you can not say?

In this article mentoolbox.com/stihl-vs-husqvarna/

HondaCub

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to give my husband a chainsaw. But I do not understand this at all :frown:. Help with the choice. Thank you :thumbsup:

Get him a Stihl. They are the best. The “farm boss” is a really
good all around chainsaw.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think most members of this site would agree, the 2 best chainsaws for dependability and longevity would be either a Stihl or Echo branded model, yes more expensive, but much better in the long run for a homeowner, avoid the cheapie brands and avoid throwing your money away. here's a few sites tha may help you decide what model saw you might like to consider.
I might further add a NON-ELECTRIC is probably a better choice.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/Product-Selector-Guide

https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/cutters/husqvarna-homeowner-chainsaws.html

there are other brands and many models take your time & choose the saw best suited for your use. ..:thumbsup:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

What does your husband need a chainsaw for? Clearing your back lot? Just cutting up occasional fallen limbs? Is he experienced with using one? Also is he young and strong or old and weak? What's your budget?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Сan you just write a model of the best chainsaw or several options.
Thank you!:smile:

The whole point is there is no such thing as a best chainsaw.
There are quality chainsaws that are particularly suited for a particular purpose.
So we would need to know a whole lot of things to give you a valid opinion.

As an example, I just fixed a top handle, one handed arbourists limbing saw for a 66 year old customer , only to find he no longer had the strength to start the saw safely.
And down here this was a top shelf $ 2000 professional saw.
For him the "best" saw was a $ 600 Husqvarna with easy start and a 12" narrow kerf bar with sprocket tip and skip tooth anti kick back chain.

The German & Japanese made Sthils are excellent saws, the USA made ones reasonable, the Brazil made ones OK and the Italian or Chinese made ones best avoided.
It is not like picking the best can of beans, chain saws are a very complicated product.

I for one would put Shindawa above Stihl followed by Echo the Husqvarna at the professional level saws
When you get to homeowner grade then some Husqvarna's would rank second.

For long life you need a saw with 2 piston rings, it makes a very big difference to both the saw & the price .
Then there are things like heated handles if the was is likely to be used a lot in winter as frostbite when using a chainsaw has cost almost as many fingers as careless use.
Then there is the use, faster chain speeds of Husqvarna's suit soft woods like spruce fur & pine where as greater torque of the Stihls & Shindawas are more suitible for oaks & euculupts.
If hubby has short arms then a soft start is an important feature.
Then there is weight to consider.
If he is going to be cutting 20 chords of fire wood a season he will need a different type of saw to the one he would be using to fell the tress on your new block.

So start with his age , height & physical condition.
Next what is he going to be doing with the saw
Then what sort of budget you have.
His level of mechanical skills & the proximity of different dealers.

Armed with all of this information then there are plenty of people here with the skills & experience to submit several saws he is likely to be happy with.
My landlord can not use the Stihl that my wife can use blindfolded
My wife can start the monster 070 easily but has difficulty with the 045 which weighs about 1/3 of the 070.
And we went with the Stihls over the Shindawas & Echos bescause they used the same mix as the lawnmower & weedeater.
When you do decide, fit the smallest recommended bar for the saw.
A big motor pulling a short chain on a small bar will make shorter work of any job than a small engine dragging a long chain around a big bar.

And then also get 3 extra chains because when the chains are worn out so will be the sprocket.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
For around-the-yard light use by a homeowner these are actually nice little saws. I'm seriously considering getting one to keep in my truck toolbox. I would probably step up to the pro model personally. A lot of the tree pros in my area are buying the top handle professional version (T535Li XP). Good as a climbing/bucket saw and to have at the chipper to break down stuff before feeding it. Yes, it's battery powered.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/products/chainsaws/120i/967098102/