Help me choose a chainsaw

Romore

Threads
Solange, you would do best buying a gift certificate at a reputable full service saw shop and let him talk to them. They know what works in your area and can help make the best choices. They will also set up the saw and should show him how to start and safely operate it, used improperly it is a dangerous tool. You may have to try several stores to find one you are comfortable with.
I sold and serviced saws for a number of years and frequently met customers in your position. If buying one as a gift, I left it in the box and strongly encouraged them to have the recipient bring it in for pre delivery service, sometimes it was not not what the person needed or wanted.

EricC

Threads
a saw was probably purchased already, but as a homeowner with clean up and cutting occasional trees, I got a Dewalt cordless with a 6ah battery. it's perfect. I can cut a full 6.5 truck bed of oak on a single charge. No gas to mix or keep, no fumes, I can talk while I cut. It's quiet when I'm not. I had an older stihl and it seemed I spend 20 minutes getting it running the couple times a year I'd use it. No I just drop the battery in and go. If I was cutting wood all day it would probably be a different story, but if I run out of juice, I plop it on a charger and go do something else. But like I said, by myself, 1 load of wood is plenty. it only ever gets burned for campfires so it lasts a while :)

anderson695

Forum Newbie
Threads
From my experience, I'd suggest you Stihl and Husqvarna. they are good brand but expensive.
you can check other markets like https://gardenley.com this site help you find a chainsaw.

Ntel

Forum Newbie
Threads
a saw was probably purchased already, but as a homeowner with clean up and cutting occasional trees, I got a Dewalt cordless with a 6ah battery. it's perfect. I can cut a full 6.5 truck bed of oak on a single charge. No gas to mix or keep, no fumes, I can talk while I cut. It's quiet when I'm not. I had an older stihl and it seemed I spend 20 minutes getting it running the couple times a year I'd use it. No I just drop the battery in and go. If I was cutting wood all day it would probably be a different story, but if I run out of juice, I plop it on a charger and go do something else. But like I said, by myself, 1 load of wood is plenty. it only ever gets burned for campfires so it lasts a while :)

Completely agree with you. 1 load of wood is indeed plenty.