Help me choose a chainsaw

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads

deminin

Threads
I want to give my husband a chainsaw. But I do not understand this at all :frown:. Help with the choice. Thank you :thumbsup:

There is NO "one size fits all" when it comes to a chainsaw. The most important info you can supply is....what does he plan to do with it, etc. If he wants to do a lot of heavy cutting, that is far different from just needing something to occasionally cut up a bunch of dead/fallen branches. If he wants to do some serious cutting, the more expensive major brands/models....Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, etc., are a Must. If it is just for light duty use, a cheap Poulan from Walmart would probably suffice.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I have the Echo CS 450P. Bought it nearly 5 years ago, and it has been the most reliable chainsaw I have owned, and I have had several over the years. I used it for all the cleaning up the periphery of this 12+ acre place, felled and cut up numerous trees, and a couple of storm cleanups. It usually starts in one or two pulls, even after sitting for a month. This saw requires oil mix with the "FD" designation.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a good friend that works for the state maintaining rest parks. Came out to help me cut up a big tree that had fallen. He had an Echo saw, unknown model etc. That was a superb machine in all respects. Just sounded perfect and cut like crazy, was a well used somewhat beat up machine at that. That'd be my choice if buying. And buy him a couple extra chains for whatever you get. A dull chain equals misery and a worn chain really wears the drive gear fast.

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does your husband need a chainsaw for? Clearing your back lot? Just cutting up occasional fallen limbs? Is he experienced with using one? Also is he young and strong or old and weak? What's your budget?

My husband is young and wants very much to be a woodcutter, who I am to disturb him.

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is NO "one size fits all" when it comes to a chainsaw. The most important info you can supply is....what does he plan to do with it, etc. If he wants to do a lot of heavy cutting, that is far different from just needing something to occasionally cut up a bunch of dead/fallen branches. If he wants to do some serious cutting, the more expensive major brands/models....Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, etc., are a Must. If it is just for light duty use, a cheap Poulan from Walmart would probably suffice.

I'll pry until the branches are cut off, but I'm not sure. Maybe tomorrow he'll be tempted to do wood cutting. I need something universal.

Solange

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a good friend that works for the state maintaining rest parks. Came out to help me cut up a big tree that had fallen. He had an Echo saw, unknown model etc. That was a superb machine in all respects. Just sounded perfect and cut like crazy, was a well used somewhat beat up machine at that. That'd be my choice if buying. And buy him a couple extra chains for whatever you get. A dull chain equals misery and a worn chain really wears the drive gear fast.

I'm trying to find a chainsaw on reviews. But about Echo didn`t find anything. Can you tell me where I can read about it or send me a link to the article. Like this example https://mentoolbox.com/stihl-vs-husqvarna/.
I will wait for any of your answers.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Point37

Threads
i have a husqvarna 445 (~45cc engine 18" bar) that i bought to clear a piece of property to build my house and it worked out great...i'm not using it every day but i cut down a lot of trees with it and i still used it here and there in the yard and at friends houses a few times every year

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One other thing. My son was looking for a saw, cutting firewood and keeping his woods cleaned up. He said that many of the saws he looked at had an awkward angled handle, not a typical right angle setup and it didn't feel right to him at all. He wound up with a Jonsered saw. After using it for a while he was not at all satisfied with it. Not sure why but heard a lot of complaints from him on this saw. Also, look at a local dealer first if service is an issue for him. Usually big box stores are buy it and it's all yours.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Just because it says 'Stihl' on the chain cover don't make it good. I do a lot of woodcutting and trimming and bought a Stihl Arbborists top handle saw for elevated work and it was a POS.. a very expensive POS as well. A friend told me to get a Tanaka top handle arborist saw and I did, 100 bucks on Amazon. Great little powerhouse, one pull, one hand starts cold or hot. I figured for a hundred bucks if it also was a POS, I could landfill it. That was 2 years, 4 loops and 2 roller nose bars ago. Original plug. Will need a drive sprocket this time but for 1 hundred bucks (delivered), I'm happy.

BTW, Tanaka is Makita.