Starter problems

blues730

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kohler Courage 27 hp. engine on my Cub Cadet. After replacing the ignition system, the starter began "banging" when I hit the key. After the bang, it would spin and start. I`ve had the starter replaced, and found out that the flywheel had several missing teeth. The flywheel has been replaced. The first few times I started it after the flywheel replacement, it started perfectly. Nice and quiet. Today, I started it, and it`s banging again. I don`t want to have to replace all this again. If the ignition timing was not correct, could that cause the flywheel to stop in the wrong position? That might make the gear on the Bendix hit the flywheel with a whack before it spins. I only ask because that`s when the problem started. Thanks for any help. I hope this isn`t a stupid question.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The flywheel stops where the flywheel stops which is usually either on compression or just as one of the valve springs starts to compress.
The acual position is not indexed in any way.
The top of the starter teeth are wedge shaped so they turn the flywheel the tiny amount to allow the teeth to mesh properly.
There are a lot of different starters.
was it a genuine BRANDED Kohler item
An aftermarket starter bought from a real mower parts retailer
the cheapest thing on ebay where the vendor who does not know a mower from a marshmellow said it would fit ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert is correct, can you provide us with all you engine numbers and any info you have on the new starter. Pics of the old and new starters would also be of great help. Kohler uses a couple different starters and they are not interchangeable.