Craftsman 917.376583 belt slipping off

journey005

Threads
I have a Craftsman 6.75 horsepower self-propelled front drive lawnmower that the belt keep slipping off I put a new belt on at the beginning of this season and it seemed to be okay but it started slipping off and I'm not sure how to assess the issue I'm not sure how to tighten it I'm not sure if something is worn out i do not know how to address the troubleshooting. I dont know how to use the tensioner on the handlebar nor what else to look for as a possible cause.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Craftsman 6.75 horsepower self-propelled front drive lawnmower that the belt keep slipping off I put a new belt on at the beginning of this season and it seemed to be okay but it started slipping off and I'm not sure how to assess the issue I'm not sure how to tighten it I'm not sure if something is worn out i do not know how to address the troubleshooting. I dont know how to use the tensioner on the handlebar nor what else to look for as a possible cause.

Doesn't it have a metal keeper that is on each side of the front pulley to keep the belt on?

journey005

Threads
Replying to my messege to test system

journey005

Threads
It does have a keeper or guide at the front, but the belt seems to be slipping off at the other end at the engine side.

journey005

Threads
I unbolted the engine pully.
I am not sure what is causing the belt to come off.
I inherited this lawnmower about 5 years ago. It has always started with one pull and on ocassion 2 pulls.
I have used it to cut about 50 to 60 hrs of lawn a year since I inherited it.
Last year the belt slipped off at the engine side and before I realized that it was the belt causing the engine slowing down. the belt broke.
I can assume to safely say to anyone curious, that the belt was probably original when I inherited it and I used it 4 years before the belt broke.
The lawnmomwer is a 2005 model Craftsman 6.5 hp self propelled front drive. high wheels in back. model # 917.376583
Last year when the belt broke, I went and got a new one and put it on near end of season. It has been on mower for approx 30hrs of use and it slipped off the engine pulley.
I am not a experienced lawnmower mechanic but after reading some info and watching some video, I inspected both pulley to see if the "V" shape is still visible. To the best I can tell, they both look pretty good.
So where to begin? Get a new belt and try again? If so, what caused the newer belt to come off in less than 30 hrs. I realize its difficult to diagnose something without seeing it, but I thought I could get some ideas and start there. I would like to learn something in this process. I believe in most cases. "details" count and i dont have the experience to access this. I can see videos online to replace a belt but I dont see any on how much play I should see or how to use the adjusting cable or anyone who toyed with the tensioner adjuster. or if that is even the issue. Thanks in advance for any wisdom coming my way from the mechanics out there. I keep searching for "how to videos"