Repairs Toro TimeCutter Z4235 Model No 74366 has electrical problem

gcb

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro TimeCutter Z4235 Model No 74366 has electrical problem
My riding mower (described above) has a problem at the electrical connection to the PTO. I can replace the plug that feeds power to the clutch, but am wondering if the "clutch side" of this connection could be the problem. I have had intermittent problems with the clutch failing to engage; sometimes this could be fixed by jiggling the plug connection. Now this no longer will work. If the problem in on the clutch side, can I somehow replace only the electrical components or must I replace the entire clutch assembly? Also, in looking online at what parts might cost I see that original Toro clutches go for over $300 but there are other brands (Other aftermarket parts I assume) for only about $120. How reliable are such aftermarket parts likely to be?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may give.

Gary

Last edited:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
My riding mower (described above) has a problem at the electrical connection to the PTO. I can replace the plug that feeds power to the clutch, but am wondering if the "clutch side" of this connection could be the problem. I have had intermittent problems with the clutch failing to engage; sometimes this could be fixed by jiggling the plug connection. Now this no longer will work. If the problem in on the clutch side, can I somehow replace only the electrical components or must I replace the entire clutch assembly? Also, in looking online at what parts might cost I see that original Toro clutches go for over $300 but there are other brands (Other aftermarket parts I assume) for only about $120. How reliable are such aftermarket parts likely to be?

Gary

seems I have vague memories of a discussion here about similar problem.
Could not be repaired conventional...it was a "fix"

Maybe a YouTube video??? They drilled and put a screw threw area ...restoring connection???
I don't have time to scerach on YouTube...
"try PTO clutch electrical repair"

maybe someone else will chime in

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
seems I have vague memories of a discussion here about similar problem.
Could not be repaired conventional...it was a "fix"

Maybe a YouTube video??? They drilled and put a screw threw area ...restoring connection???
I don't have time to scerach on YouTube...
"try PTO clutch electrical repair"

maybe someone else will chime in

This is the one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL--UmCfV-4

gcb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Shiftsuper1--Thanks for the heads up on that video. I hope my problem is on the power supply side of the connection and not on the clutch side as I'd like to avoid replacing the clutch. I went to the equipment dealer where I purchased the machine and tried to buy a replacement plug. Not surprisingly I suppose, they wanted to sell me an entire wiring harness---just to get the little plastic plug--that probably cost less than a dime to make. I have cut the two wires leading to the clutch and now have the plug free and can take it to look for replacements at parts stores.

If I get a bit more savvy about this site, I may be able to post pictures of the plug. It is roughly 1X1X0.5 inches and houses two blade type prongs that contact those on the clutch. Anyone here have any ideas where I might look to find this little part?

Thanks for you help. And Shiftsuper1--your video gives me an easy way to test the clutch side only by using contacts directly from the battery so that will be helpful.

How difficult is it generally to remove the clutch assembly from these machines? I'm a moderately experienced handyman, but it's by no means my strong suit. Thanks !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the plug costs less than a dime to make.
But invoicing, warehousing and transport end up blowing that price out to $ 5.00 by the time it gets to the dealer and that is before he puts his 30% on it.
Funny enough the entire loom ends up with the said same $ 5.00 logistical cost on it siting on the dealers counter.
You might find one on line at a site that specializes in electrical connections where they sell 20,000 a year reducing the logistical cost per item.
Where as you are most likely the only person who has wanted one from the dealer in the past 5 years..

Annoying , but just a fact of life we have to deal with.

gcb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Toro TimeCutter Z4235 Model No 74366 has electrical problem--PROBLEM NO MORE!

After chasing all around town and failing to find the necessary part, I decided on my next trip into town, to visit another equipment store that handles new machines and does repairs. I took my badly broken plug into the store and showed it to the counter-woman, explaining what I was hoping to find. She gave me a perplexed look and carried it back into the shop. I slid down the hall and saw her talking to the technician. Attempting to clarify my problem, I walked into the shop and spoke with the technician. He immediately said he recognized the part and that he might be able to help me. Turns out that he has a practice of removing and saving all plugs, terminals and receptacles when he replaces wiring harnesses on various mowers. (Sounds like this would be a very wise practice for anyone in his position) He said he finds such parts very useful when people bring things in for repair; it is his opinion that most such parts are "specific" to the mower industry. He searched through a big plastic bag of salvaged parts, found that he did have one like I needed and gave it to me!!

I got a couple of butt splices that could be used to join the new (old) part to my existing mower harness. This was a very simple fix and so far the mower works great. Thanks to Tom, the generous technician who works here in Great Falls.

jim.smylie

Forum Newbie
Threads

Gary

Gary - would you have a photo of your wiring harness on the mower? There is a red wire coming off the relay that is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!

jim