Kohler Command Pro 29hp EFI smoke

Fizzerpilot

Threads
Seems a lot of guys have seen this on thier ECV860s on the first change... weird.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
Changed the oil/filter. No change. Mowed for an hour... shut down for 10 minutes to blow it off before parking it, and it then blew a big cloud of smoke on startup again. I think I need to head to my closest dealer and have them fire up an ECV860 on the lot to show me how “normal” this is.

Best Stripes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changed the oil/filter. No change. Mowed for an hour... shut down for 10 minutes to blow it off before parking it, and it then blew a big cloud of smoke on startup again. I think I need to head to my closest dealer and have them fire up an ECV860 on the lot to show me how I realized that this post is about 3 years old
I realize this post is about 3 years old but it annoyed me enough to revive it. Wondering what the conclusion was?
I have an old Snapper 150z zero turn that looks like new and everything works perfectly. This week the old Briggs 18.5 horse started smoking and I'm looking at a Kohler 25 horse EFI to replace it. I found a used one, fairly local with about 150 hours on it for $400.
Anyway, I happened on this post looking to see what the general consensus is on Chinese Kohler motors.
Not for nothing but I'm with "SidecarFlip" . If I had this exact scenario I would drive my brand new mower onto my trailer, drain 90% of the oil, run it wide open until something went BOOM, replace used oil and drop it off at the dealer.
I don't condone doing scumbag things but I won't be taken advantage of either. I honestly don't understand why the dealer would care. If this was my business I would have taken your mower back and given you another brand new one with my sincerest apology.

350Rocket

Threads
I realize this post is about 3 years old but it annoyed me enough to revive it. Wondering what the conclusion was?
I have an old Snapper 150z zero turn that looks like new and everything works perfectly. This week the old Briggs 18.5 horse started smoking and I'm looking at a Kohler 25 horse EFI to replace it. I found a used one, fairly local with about 150 hours on it for $400.
Anyway, I happened on this post looking to see what the general consensus is on Chinese Kohler motors.
Not for nothing but I'm with "SidecarFlip" . If I had this exact scenario I would drive my brand new mower onto my trailer, drain 90% of the oil, run it wide open until something went BOOM, replace used oil and drop it off at the dealer.
I don't condone doing scumbag things but I won't be taken advantage of either. I honestly don't understand why the dealer would care. If this was my business I would have taken your mower back and given you another brand new one with my sincerest apology.
If you seize up the engine and can't mix the fresh oil with the old oil it will be readily apparent when they crack it open that you did this on purpose. That could be an uncomfortable situation.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
No not break in oil. It is water from condensation from starting the mowers running them in and out and not getting them hot enough to evaporate the moisture. If you run an engine and for short periods of of time and shut it off it will create moisture and turn the oil milky and over fill the engine when you check the oil. Enough of it can damage the engine. Change the oil and filter immediately. This is not a warranty failure. Warranty covers defects in material and workmanship. Moisture is not a material in the engine and workmanship had nothing to do with it.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the dipstick out and take a cigarette lighter to if spits, sputters and pops it is water. If it burns it has gas in the oil if it does nothing it is oil.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
our Tech Brian. He explained the process to me a little better and says he has definitely seen some brands of break in oil turn this color when it interacts with gas.
Is this a 2 stroke engine? Oil interacting with gas now? No wonder there is so many Kroller engine failures out there.
Ever since day one, it blows smoke on startup
Take it back to the dealer.

Best Stripes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Again I'm not condoning screwing anyone over. Don't let yourself get screwed either. I'm confused as to why lawn equipment manufacturer's are held to a lower standard than all other manufacturers? Walmart and Amazon have better customer support on their Chinese junk. If you bought any brand new car this would be completely unacceptable. We spend 3, 4, 6 K on a zero turn. Force your dealer to do the right thing, if they are dicky about it go right to the manufacturer. If they are dicky about it get an attorney. Unacceptable.

Best Stripes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just for reference, I'm in my mid 40s and have only ever sued one person. A young lady that hit my Cadillac , had no insurance and refused to pay. After winning in court 10 plus years ago I still get a check in the mail every other month for $5 lol.
When I drive by her house and see that rusted 14 year old junk Chevy Cavalier sitting in the driveway it puts a smile on my face. She cant sell it, trade it in or even scrap it. My name is on the title in the lein holder spot lmao.

350Rocket

Threads
Just for reference, I'm in my mid 40s and have only ever sued one person. A young lady that hit my Cadillac , had no insurance and refused to pay. After winning in court 10 plus years ago I still get a check in the mail every other month for $5 lol.
When I drive by her house and see that rusted 14 year old junk Chevy Cavalier sitting in the driveway it puts a smile on my face. She cant sell it, trade it in or even scrap it. My name is on the title in the lein holder spot lmao.
Still a crappy way to get your money back. I'd be pretty annoyed by that.
Either way they should have to fix the smoke issue on a new engine. Mine is 15 years old and doesn't smoke at all. My dad's 18 year old Kohler command smokes on startup, but it has 1100+ hours on it.