battery shorted against chassis

lukewarmwater

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like title states, battery shorted against chassis while mowing. Didn't notice until it ran out of gas.....I don't believe it was a "SOLID: short. but more like intermittent as the battery shifted side to side with vibration....Anyway, ran it out of gas, battery was dead and wouldn't turn over after adding gas. So I grabbed a jump pack and got it turning over great. full choke, no choke, wrapped lips around gas tank and pressured up tank to fill carb bowl......normally a easy start machine. I'm guessing......and looking for confirmation...….will shorting out the batter while it's running burn out the ignition coil? It's a old Craftsman, with a 14hp briggs.

It's been a long day, so I came in to rest and relax......rather than dig into it.....I know it's easy to check for spark. But if someone can confirm or deny and give other advice of thoughts I might have missed...…

Maybe a place to purchase replacement coil? this isn't my mower, it spent a few weeks here as the owner (kid) gets his dad to haul it home...…..well, I decided to use it to mow my lawn...….and now I need to fix it.....LOL.

dfbroxy

Threads
You may have shorted out the fuel shutoff on the carb. Check for spark first, and then check the fuel silinoid on the carb.

lukewarmwater

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I would not have known about electric fuel shut off....that helps.

QUOTE=dfbroxy;310076]You may have shorted out the fuel shutoff on the carb. Check for spark first, and then check the fuel silinoid on the carb.[/QUOTE]