Mower deck Yard Machines model 1183a ac actual model number?

micuss

Threads
  • / Yard Machines model 1183a ac actual model number?
Looks like it, thanks

micuss

Threads
So I ordered the belt MTD 954-0364 which is what it calls for all of the 36" units of this style and it seems like it is about 2 inches to short. I was able to install it but it is tight even with the belts in the off position and it spins the blades when trying to start the mower. is there an adjustment to loosen it up the deck some or should I go up in size on the belt. Thanks again for your help as I learn.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I ordered the belt MTD 954-0364 which is what it calls for all of the 36" units of this style and it seems like it is about 2 inches to short. I was able to install it but it is tight even with the belts in the off position and it spins the blades when trying to start the mower. is there an adjustment to loosen it up the deck some or should I go up in size on the belt. Thanks again for your help as I learn.

If you're sure it is the correct belt...
you need to make sure it is routed correctly. If you have it the wrong way on a pulley...that would explain your problem.

it is easy to do.

micuss

Threads
I think it is just the stiffness and corrosion on this unit from sitting for years as I went back out there after posting this and relaxing some and worked the action some more and ran it some and now the blades will stop but the belt still catches a little on the pulley and if it does not stop I will clean the pulley with some sandpaper to see if that helps. I appreciate y'alls patience with me as I learn to work on these things.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD use brake pads under the floor that press on the top of the pulleys to prevent them from turning encouraging the belt to slip as designed to do when the blades are disengaged.

If your model moves the deck back to mow & forward to disengage then there is an adjustment on the engagement lever under the dash.
That type of deck is also sensitive to ovaled holes in linkages as the "engagement lever " is really a dissengagement lever so a flogged out hole might not push the deck far enough forward to create enough slack in the belt.

And new belts tend to be a bit stiff for the first few mows.