Scag Patriot blade removal

Arthur Dent

Threads
I'm having a great time mowing our 5 acres with the new Scag Patriot, but its way past time to sharpen the blades and I can't get them off. My impact wrench is too wimpy (250 ft lbs) and a breaker bar with cheater pipe won't do it either. Looking online shows that the threads are standard, not reverse. I think the Patriot used to be the Freedom Z, and what I have read indicates that the bolts thread into the spindles, do not go all the way through like some of the other Scag models. I have let the impact run and run and run, to no avail. Breaker bar with cheater pipe spins the bolt and spindle while the wooden jam keeps the blade from moving. This has me flummoxed.
Any ideas? I'm about to the point of buying or borrowing a saltier impact wrench.
:mur:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blade retainers are designed to self tighten during use cause you really do not want them to come loose.

If you have left them on for way too long they will be way too tight.
If yours has nuts, then a nut spliter and replace them with new ones .
If it is a bolt, the cut off the head.
Oncethe head is removed they will come out with fingers ( in a gloved hand )
The fasteners are not frozen or corroded on the threads, the are just overtight.
And I have a 1340 ft lb twin hammer gun & I still have to cut few off every season.

Luffydog

Threads
Put a wrench on top with the blade blocked off with the breaker bar on bottom

War Eagle

Threads
Put a wrench on top with the blade blocked off with the breaker bar on bottom
Ditto, I think. We have a new Liberty Z, and it took me a while to discover the two flat sides on the spindle shaft that are a perfect fit for a 1" open-end wrench. With the a long-shank 1" wrench to secure the spindle shaft, and an 18" long 1/2" drive break-over on the bolt head, I was finally able to get all three bolts out intact. When I installed the new blades, I torqued the bolts at the recommended 75 ft lb. It will be interesting to see what it takes to get them off next time after a known torque on.

Arthur Dent

Threads
Thanks for all the comments! I'll look for that flat on the spindle shaft, that would be a big help.
Since we have only had this mower a couple of months or so, I decided to call the dealer about this before I got too radical with it. He is only about 7 miles from our place, he said he would drop by with his service truck in the next few days and see if he can get the bolts out. We'll see. I'll post an update when applicable.

Arthur Dent

Threads
Long story short, the dealer loaned me his cordless impact tool. I thought there was no way this battery powered tool was going to have a chance after I failed at every attempt, but it spun all 3 bolts out like they were nothing. Made me feel like a fool.
Happy ending.

John R

Threads
Long story short, the dealer loaned me his cordless impact tool. I thought there was no way this battery powered tool was going to have a chance after I failed at every attempt, but it spun all 3 bolts out like they were nothing. Made me feel like a fool.
Happy ending.

Not knowing how to do something does not make you a FOOL.
Glad you got them out.

Luffydog

Threads
My battery powered dewalt has over 1200ft lbs of power I'll be glad to put it up against most air powered 1/2 drive.