Honda 214 SX for sale

jsalis57

Threads
I have two Honda 214 SX mowers and am selling one of them.

This particular mower is made in Japan and is in really nice shape. Mower is extremely clean and the deck, handle as well as controls in great condition. Comes with grass bag that is almost like new. The machine performs its duties flawlessly. In the interest of full disclosure, it will need new tires eventually and could use a new carburetor as it will leak a tiny bit while sitting if you do not shut off the fuel valve. The float and needle as well as bowl gasket has been replaced, all I can figure is the float needle seat is old and does not mate well with the new needle.
If you are reading this, you probably fully understand the legendary service these mowers provide and I would like to see it get a new owner that appreciates that aspect.
Will send pictures upon request. Located in Columbus Ohio.

$150.00

Thanks for reading!

Prodeje79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there!

I think I also found your ad on CL. If it is you, weirdly live in same town and almost walking distance from you. We moved to a much smaller yard and I sold off the riding mower, looking to get a self propelled push mower. I've been researching and looking at all of the local used sites. I've been pretty set on finding a steal on a Toro Super Recycler or a newer Honda HRX217. I am a little nervous buying such an old mower, but it indeed sounds like a tank. How cool would it be to mow your own yard with a mower about as old as yourself??? I see you've been very fortunate to land 3 of these from free to $20 as well as a hrx217 for free. Not doubt you've spent time and money to get them up to par though!

I am more interested in getting more of a turn key with zero issues. I see you ended up getting an OEM honda carb to completely fix one, what is the best deal you could find? Same deal with wheels? I am basically trying to understand how much money to make it fully redone to last many more years. I'd plan to mulch, so I may need to buy a mulch kit?

Maybe this isn't for me, but it definitely got me thinking. I am on the fence to buy one of these. It would be cool to learn from an expert how to work on them, but also understand if that's not an option. I've used online guides and youtube to help me fix other things.

Thanks!

jsalis57

Threads
Hi there!

I think I also found your ad on CL. If it is you, weirdly live in same town and almost walking distance from you. We moved to a much smaller yard and I sold off the riding mower, looking to get a self propelled push mower. I've been researching and looking at all of the local used sites. I've been pretty set on finding a steal on a Toro Super Recycler or a newer Honda HRX217. I am a little nervous buying such an old mower, but it indeed sounds like a tank. How cool would it be to mow your own yard with a mower about as old as yourself??? I see you've been very fortunate to land 3 of these from free to $20 as well as a hrx217 for free. Not doubt you've spent time and money to get them up to par though!

I am more interested in getting more of a turn key with zero issues. I see you ended up getting an OEM honda carb to completely fix one, what is the best deal you could find? Same deal with wheels? I am basically trying to understand how much money to make it fully redone to last many more years. I'd plan to mulch, so I may need to buy a mulch kit?

Maybe this isn't for me, but it definitely got me thinking. I am on the fence to buy one of these. It would be cool to learn from an expert how to work on them, but also understand if that's not an option. I've used online guides and youtube to help me fix other things.

Thanks!

Hello there. I understand your apprehension about buying an old mower like this one. I can tell you the build quality is like nothing on the market nowadays.
I really like tinkering with these mowers, the more you dive in to them the more obvious the build quality really is. I have done a lot of research and many people agree these are the best lawnmowers ever made, especially as it was sold as a homeowner mower when today it is marketed as a commercial unit.
Parts are readily available right down to nuts and bolts. A word of caution about carburetors though, there are plenty of China made cheap ones on eBay to avoid. I bought an Honda OEM for the mower I am keeping for $60.00, well worth the extra money in my opinion.
I have the mulching blades as well as the plug, the plug alone sells for $90.00! Hard to believe! These older mowers can mulch with the above mentioned parts but only with very dry grass like found this time of year. My HRX217 does mulch much better, it was designed to mulch whereas the 214 it was more of an afterthought. I think the 214 actually cuts better than the 217 with the original high lift design blade with my rear side discharge chute or bag.
This mower will most certainly do the job, starts first pull every time. As you can see in many posts or searches on the mower blog (the 214 actually has one) it does smoke when first started, but easily repaired and they will go another 20 years. They are truly well built machines!

If you are close by I can certainly show you in person.

Jeff.

Prodeje79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Jeff!

I remain extremely fascinated and would love to own one someday. It is unfortunately outside of my budget. Yesterday I picked up an old Toro Super Recycler , circa 2003 or so, the dang serial panel was scraped off. Unsure which model, but guessing 20038

Now begins my journey of making sure this one keeps working well for me!

jsalis57

Threads
Hi Jeff!

I remain extremely fascinated and would love to own one someday. It is unfortunately outside of my budget. Yesterday I picked up an old Toro Super Recycler , circa 2003 or so, the dang serial panel was scraped off. Unsure which model, but guessing 20038

Now begins my journey of making sure this one keeps working well for me!

Have fun with your new toy! I don’t know much about the Toro lawn mowers but way back when they used to be great!

Prodeje79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have fun with your new toy! I don’t know much about the Toro lawn mowers but way back when they used to be great!

Thanks!

So I just got an alert and emailed the guy about this

( I can't post links darn. Columbus Craigslist two hrx 217 with apparently minor fixes needed for $100 for both in Westerville)

Would you be willing to help out a newbie and get these going with me? At the end we can each have one, which in understand you may just sell yours.
:)

jsalis57

Threads
Thanks!

So I just got an alert and emailed the guy about this

( I can't post links darn. Columbus Craigslist two hrx 217 with apparently minor fixes needed for $100 for both in Westerville)

Would you be willing to help out a newbie and get these going with me? At the end we can each have one, which in understand you may just sell yours.
:)

Not sure what you are asking, I was just in Westerville an hour ago.....

Prodeje79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what you are asking, I was just in Westerville an hour ago.....

Sorry Jeff, that was a confusing post. I could not supply the link as I am a new member.

Basically I saw a craigslist an ad selling TWO HRX217 mowers for $100 total in westerville. They appeared to be in excellent condition. One needed a new handle bar thing, the other needed a spring/cord connector thing.

I was basically asking you if you'd help me restore them if I bought them. In return I would give you one to keep for yourself (or sell for profit). I was first to respond to the ad, but decided the wife would kill me if I now had 3 mowers in our tiny garage.

I still remain super interested in your mower. I will be testing out my old Toro Super Recycler soon that I just acquired. If it ends up not working well, I may seek you out. I do intend to do 100% mulching though. I'd be more interested in your mower if it was bullet proof with new honda OEM carb already. I'd probably bite $150 but with new carb in it.

jsalis57

Threads
Sorry Jeff, that was a confusing post. I could not supply the link as I am a new member.

Basically I saw a craigslist an ad selling TWO HRX217 mowers for $100 total in westerville. They appeared to be in excellent condition. One needed a new handle bar thing, the other needed a spring/cord connector thing.

I was basically asking you if you'd help me restore them if I bought them. In return I would give you one to keep for yourself (or sell for profit). I was first to respond to the ad, but decided the wife would kill me if I now had 3 mowers in our tiny garage.

I still remain super interested in your mower. I will be testing out my old Toro Super Recycler soon that I just acquired. If it ends up not working well, I may seek you out. I do intend to do 100% mulching though. I'd be more interested in your mower if it was bullet proof with new honda OEM carb already. I'd probably bite $150 but with new carb in it.

No problem, thanks for clearifying. I have a HRX217 and as nice as the mower is, it just looks and feels like a homeowner mower vs. the commercial build of the older 214.

I have two as I mentioned and keeping one. The one I am keeping is the one with the new carburetor, the other I just purchased a new float and installed it along with a new bowl gasket in the carburetor.

I have this listed on a couple of other sites and get interest, but the people I have been chatting with have no clue the hidden value behind these mowers. I would much rather sell to someone who understands and appreciates the solid engineering these 214's offer. I am getting tired of the 'tire kickers'.

That said, make me an offer if you would like. Love to have this go to someone such as yourself.