Toro SS5000 riding mower will not start

Tripyre

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have been troubleshooting my Toro SS5000 riding mower for several weeks trying to get it to start. I have replaced the following components: Starter Solenoid, Brake Actuator, Seat Safety Switch and Key Ignition Switch. The brakes do not engage/disengage when moving the handles to either park or neutral. The engine will spin over when I connect the battery directly to the starter with a cable, so the battery is good. Just ordered the brake switches on both sides, but if that does not fix the issue then I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions I may be able to check?

Thanks for your time!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi, I have been troubleshooting my Toro SS5000 riding mower for several weeks trying to get it to start. I have replaced the following components: Starter Solenoid, Brake Actuator, Seat Safety Switch and Key Ignition Switch. The brakes do not engage/disengage when moving the handles to either park or neutral. The engine will spin over when I connect the battery directly to the starter with a cable, so the battery is good. Just ordered the brake switches on both sides, but if that does not fix the issue then I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions I may be able to check?

Thanks for your time!

:welcome:

Well no you are not trouble shooting you are just replacing parts at random.
Do you want help finding out what is wrong or just another list of bits to swap ?

The very first thing you should have done was go to the toro web site & download the parts book & workshop manual for your mower.
They are both there for all to see, totally free.
Do that, locate your wiring schematic and get back to us.
If you find electrickery confusing, no problems ots of people here who can tell you to jump blue wire to green wire if that is what is needed.
Also make yourself a 1/2 dozen short 2" to 6" long bypass wires by crimping a male spade terminal to both ends of the wire.
You will use these to bypass switches so we can get to the bottom of the problem.
You will also need some sort of multi meter or test lamp

T8r93

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for your time!

Did you ever find out what was wrong?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wouldn't expect an answer from the OP since he hasn't posted since this thread started in September of 2018.

If you look at the top corner of the thread it will give the start date of the thread, which will help avoid posting to an old thread.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which brings us to the burning question, what exactly isn't yours doing?

T8r93

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure, but basically have just been replacing parts instead of checking voltage and part by part like I should have, starter, starting solenoid, brake actuator, pto switch, ignition switch, and battery have all been replaced, mower get power in the “on” position but does nothing when you turn it to the “start” position, will start by crossing solenoid, and runs good, I went to cut the pto on and as soon as I pulled it up into the on position the mower shuts off, sorry for the late response new to the forum thing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If turning the PTO on kills the engine dead flat then the mower "thinks" there is no one in the drivers seat.
This can be because the switch, OR THE WIRING TO THE SWITCH is bad.

TORO, bless their pointy horns have comprehensive repair manuals available as a free download off their web site.
Take a photo of the ID tag under the seat so you get the numbers right as you need the serial number.
There should be a wiring schematic in the back of your operators manual.
Now Toro do change the wiring from year to year so we will need to know the full numbers as well, lest we tell you to cut the self destruct wire ?