6.75 briggs trys to start dies

dougand3

Threads
Push tstat arm forward - does spring pop it back? Is air vane spring good? Does air vane snap back when pulled forward? Is any part of tstat metal arm touching air vane hook? Is governor spring good?
Good video on auto choke... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqVcdZOZE4&t=1816s

Another test is pull air vane forward (= no choke) and tie it off with cable tie or something. Try getting it to run with starting fluid.

Threads
Bill here is a video link you might want to watch.....I have a short vid on my channel, but Non'c Bruce goes into detail on this one ........ Bruce is a very good friend of mine and a very good mechanic.....

In this video he shows the dead man cluster also..... If that's not right, off just a lil bit the mower will run run but die right away from vibration.... I have seen it happen a few times.... Skip to 6:45 and see the choke part it you want....

He explains the operation of the choke in his own words.....

Actually in my words, since I am a small engine tech,.....The air vane opens the choke when the engine is started and running....... When the engine is warmed up and running for a while then air vane spring keeps the choke open for hot starts... When the engine cools down, the T Stat closes the choke for a cold start..... Like in the video at 15:20 which is supposed to be closed since the engine is not warmed up all the way........

Like I said before the air vane arm goes to the front of the engine as shown at 3:15 in the video.......

I will post again soon as soon as you let us know something Mon Ami ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!~!

https://youtu.be/rZ90ejdim6g

billbill1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help guys. I received the spark tester and it appears there is a spark problem. I had installed the aftermarket ignition and the symptoms stayed the same, it wasn't however able to clear the choke vane and I reinstalled the original ( with the same problems) Do you thing I need to order a new ignition from Briggs? I tested the spark tester on my log splitter and it worked fine, doesn't show spark on the 6.75 Briggs. I will wait for your reply to proceed.

Threads
Yes a Briggs coil not a flea bay coil...... You might can get a used one in your area....

billbill1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good video, thanks for sharing. This is the exact same engine as the one I am working on. Waiting on parts, I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.

billbill1

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK I installed the new coil and like always, this thing has fire some of the time. I have tried unhooking the kill wire at the coil and the same thing. There are two wires on a limit switch on the kill cable, I checked the switch with a volt meter and made a jumper to hook between the wires, still the same. Is it possible for a flywheel to go bad? It will pull a screwdriver to it on the magnets. I'm stumped again.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not knowing what to say about coil firing sometimes ...... have you checked the muffler for carbon blockage ..??

itsgalf

Threads
Hmm last time I had ignition problems, it turned out that my chinese ignition coil that I purchased didn't work. I bought a proper one and that ended up being the problem.

Only thing I can suggest if it really is spark problems is what fnaguitarplayer suggests in this video - oxidation between where the coil is bolted to the housing. I've heard that's an old wive's tale, but hey may as well check just in case.

https://youtu.be/S8B7Xwpz94w?t=5m23s

Threads
Yes if you have fire some of the time then it will be 3 things.......

1 a bad ground or bad contact to the coil mounting posts..... Just put a flat bastard file across both at the same time and rub gently... Not a lot just to make shiny......

2 a kill wire with bad insulation going to ground....... UNPLUG and leave unplugged..... for the meantime...

3 Yes a flywheel magnet can go bad........ Check with a 1/2 inch combo wrench about 2 inches away to see if it draws it in ETC ETC.........

billbill1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try these suggestions today, thank you.