Repairs Tiger cub blowing ignition fuse

srw101

Threads
Hello all, I'm having an issue blowing the 20 amp ignition fuse and hope someone can shed some light before I drop big bucks on what might be a simple problem. My safety circuit is shorted to ground which instantly blows the fuse when I turn the key on. I traced the circuit all the way back to the orange wire of what I believe to be a safety relay module of some sort. when I remove the connector I no longer have a short to ground but I can't be sure the short is taking another path once I plug it back in. Can anyone verify that this isn't supposed to be grounded? Thanks for anything...I'm pretty desperate, grass is gettin tall!

Scag Tiger Cub STC
21 horse Kawasaki
48 inch cut

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The safety circuit IS A GROUND CIRCUIT.
It is not short to ground it is either open =running or ground = stopped.
The power circuit only goes to the starter motor , the PTO & the carb soenoid.

SO

1) how much of the stuff they taught you i high school did you actually understand
2) what gear do you have to work through the wiring with
3) Exactly what happens from the second you bum hits the seat, in painful detail

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

SO

1) how much of the stuff they taught you i high school did you actually understand
3) Exactly what happes from the second you bum hits the seat, in painful detail

srw101

Threads

SO

3) Exactly what happes from the second you bum hits the seat, in painful detail

it's the only ground that i can find running to the other side of the fuse. I do understand that short to ground equals blown fuse and that's what I'm dealing with as soon as I turn on the key. Really don't need to mock me to get your point across I'm doing the best I can to figure this out. In painful detail, the fuse blows when I turn the ignition switch on and to your point if the safety circuit is grounded wouldn't that blow a fuse if the two were to meet? Solenoid unplugged, motor harness unplugged, clutch is unplugged.
I have two fluke meters and a test light, I'm not an expert but I am familiar with ohms law. 0 ohms of resistance from neg battery post to one side of the fuse. Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No one is trying to mock you and the accidential double post has been removed.
Electricity confuses a lot of people because they learned how to answer questions not how things work.

OTOH you have the mower in front of you & we have nothing but words on a screen.
You specifically said your SAFETY circuit was grounded.
Mowers have 3 circuits
1) safety ( ground circuit )
2) cranking ( power circuit)
3) charging ( includes electric PTO's ) which is also a power circuit

Then only thing that gets power in the on position on every mower ( assuming the PTO is off ) is the carb solenoid.
Some also bring the rectifier into circuit.
SO

start by unplugging the mower to engine plug ( might be 2 of them )
if the fuse blows then the problem is in the mowers wiring
If the fuse does not blow the problem is in the engines wiring.

If you want us to walk you through it that is fine but you will need to find the circuit diagram for your mower and post it.
To do that you need to have posted 3 times ( spam prevention )

as previously mentioned, you have the mower in front of you and you have all of the required model & serial numbers needed to get the correct wiring diagram
We have no more that what you tell us.

srw101

Threads
No one is trying to mock you and the accidential double post has been removed.
Electricity confuses a lot of people because they learned how to answer questions not how things work.

OTOH you have the mower in front of you & we have nothing but words on a screen.
You specifically said your SAFETY circuit was grounded.
Mowers have 3 circuits
1) safety ( ground circuit )
2) cranking ( power circuit)
3) charging ( includes electric PTO's ) which is also a power circuit

Then only thing that gets power in the on position on every mower ( assuming the PTO is off ) is the carb solenoid.
Some also bring the rectifier into circuit.
SO

start by unplugging the mower to engine plug ( might be 2 of them )
if the fuse blows then the problem is in the mowers wiring
If the fuse does not blow the problem is in the engines wiring.

If you want us to walk you through it that is fine but you will need to find the circuit diagram for your mower and post it.
To do that you need to have posted 3 times ( spam prevention )

as previously mentioned, you have the mower in front of you and you have all of the required model & serial numbers needed to get the correct wiring diagram
We have no more that what you tell us.
My apologies, I reread my post and I did say safety circuit was a deadshort. Now I feel like an *** lol:tongue: Anyhow I'd unplugged all except the main two wires that lead to the solenoid earlier in the day. Verified that they were leading to the fuse and one side of fuse was hot and was the only path. With fuse out other side of fuse holder was dead short and as I said before this lead to the keyswitch which in on position to safety circuit. I tried to find a electrical diagram of key switch to see what the switch contacts were closed in on position but I just found pictures, no prints. I'll post diagrams as soon as I can. thanks again

Luffydog

Threads
Have you looked under the key switch panel for a bad wire.

Luffydog

Threads
What engine do you have