Opinions And Help Deciding On New Machine??

Selluwud

Threads
I am currently mowing in excess of 2.5 acres with a 15 year old 42" Kawasaki powered Husqvarna garden tractor. The engine is great and doesn't use oil, so I'm sold on Kawasaki power. I'd like to move up to 54"-60" size deck on either a tractor or zero turn set up. My budget is +/- $4000. and I need some input from professionals about what their choices would be. My old machine, other than the motor, is about worn out and I have pieced & patched it together over the years but it's about done. I need something that will give me another 15 years?? I am 66 yrs old and close to 3 hours on a lawn mower is taking it's toll. Need to go bigger, better & faster. Thanks, no opinions are bad opinions.

Last edited:

Selluwud

Threads
If you want a long lasting machine you will need to move up a little in your price This is the lowest I would go.

I'll check the link when I'm at home on an unfiltered network. What do you know about the Hustler brand, specifically a Raptor SD?? I'm looking at a 60" model.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
For sure I'd look for a machine with a serviceable transaxle if a hydro is wanted. Pretty much standard in the homeowner's line of riders is a throwaway transmission that starts failing at 300 hours or so, all in at 600 and expensive to replace. Look for an oil filter or two on the transaxle back there. I made the mistake some years ago with a John Deere, heck of a nice mower with a junk trans., now on my second box.

Selluwud

Threads
For sure I'd look for a machine with a serviceable transaxle if a hydro is wanted. Pretty much standard in the homeowner's line of riders is a throwaway transmission that starts failing at 300 hours or so, all in at 600 and expensive to replace. Look for an oil filter or two on the transaxle back there. I made the mistake some years ago with a John Deere, heck of a nice mower with a junk trans., now on my second box.

My old 42" Husq with a 13HP Kawa had a belt drive hydro that's still holding up after 15 years of cutting 3 acres once a week for 8 months a year. I rebuilt the carb once and had the deck repaired. The front wheel bushings are shot and the deck suspending hardware is messed up, it runs on the deck wheels set at my height preference and they have been replaced twice. I had to rewire the PTO clutch a few times as well. It's on it's last leg. I looked at a Hustler Raptor SD 60" yesterday and was impressed but it's a little bit over my budget. Waiting for an off season deal if my old one holds up until then.

snookerly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dont go soo low on your budget. You might end up with a not so good choice

RajunCajun

Threads
08FBEA83-0DEB-485C-AFF1-DA4EF83AFE31.jpgE5CAD3C7-093A-404A-BEEE-DF8AB0FE78DB.jpgE5767BD6-2629-4B88-B48B-1FD914A0E331.png
Early this summer I purchased a new ZTR. A residential model featuring a lot of commercial quality.
A residential Snapper 360Z 25/52, 25hp professional BRIGGS, 52” fabricated 10gauge deck, larger rear wheels&tires, handy carry deck (removable). $3699msrp at the Snapper dealer.

My other ZTR is at my parents large property home that I cut weekly is a commercial Snapper Pro 52” S150z w/ a Kawasaki 23.5hp. Yes a great commercial mower but $7500. I see the same mower high quality in both mowers. I would have preferred a Kawasaki on my 360z, but to get the Hydro-Gear 2800 tranzaxles it only comes with Briggs and the larger 52” fabricated deck. Great running engine also in my opinion. Good deal w/ serviceable Hydro-Gear 2800 hydro transmissions. Smooth, precise hydro response. A strong tight running machine. I installed a new Briggs hour meter that pops right into the dash panel knockout and plugged into the waiting harness. 18 hours on it so far and runs great. I wouldn’t hesitate cutting the larger 5 acre property with the 360z if I had to.
Hard to beat bang for your bucks! I did a lot of research.

(The 3 other smaller Snapper 360Zs models have cheaper EZT hydrostrans, smaller wheels, no carry decks, 12 gauge mower decks)

A good friend just bought the Raptor SD, 52” deck, 2800s transaxles and loves it. Equal mower, his has a Kohler I believe. He’s satisfied. Kawasaki is my favorite.

Just another opinion
Eric (60 and retired mechanic)

Last edited:

Selluwud

Threads
View attachment 40347View attachment 40348View attachment 40349
Early this summer I purchased a new ZTR. A residential model featuring a lot of commercial quality.
A residential Snapper 360Z 25/52, 25hp professional BRIGGS, 52” fabricated 10gauge deck, larger rear wheels&tires, handy carry deck (removable). $3699msrp at the Snapper dealer.

My other ZTR is at my parents large property home that I cut weekly is a commercial Snapper Pro 52” S150z w/ a Kawasaki 23.5hp. Yes a great commercial mower but $7500. I see the same mower high quality in both mowers. I would have preferred a Kawasaki on my 360z, but to get the Hydro-Gear 2800 tranzaxles it only comes with Briggs and the larger 52” fabricated deck. Great running engine also in my opinion. Good deal w/ serviceable Hydro-Gear 2800 hydro transmissions. Smooth, precise hydro response. A strong tight running machine. I installed a new Briggs hour meter that pops right into the dash panel knockout and plugged into the waiting harness. 18 hours on it so far and runs great. I wouldn’t hesitate cutting the larger 5 acre property with the 360z if I had to.
Hard to beat bang for your bucks! I did a lot of research.

(The 3 other smaller Snapper 360Zs models have cheaper EZT hydrostrans, smaller wheels, no carry decks, 12 gauge mower decks)

A good friend just bought the Raptor SD, 52” deck, 2800s transaxles and loves it. Equal mower, his has a Kohler I believe. He’s satisfied. Kawasaki is my favorite.

Just another opinion
Eric (60 and retired mechanic)

Thanks for your thoughts. I’ve found that B&S engines don’t hold up over time as well, piston rods become worn and get sloppy. Also talked to mower mechanic who told me Kholer down engineered their products a few years ago to save money. Survey was done and found most people sold or replaced their mowers within a time much less than the life of Kholers former product, so they cheapened them up to match market expectations. Also found out Honda makes 2 different motors, red and black, one good and one from China. Maybe I’ve been told incorrectly, but this guys been in business a long time. True or not, I don’t really know.

Selluwud

Threads
2018 FERRIS 5901705. $4350, free shipping, no taxes

https://www.brunospowersports.com/i...=+3477335&sfc=0&ssc=0&scc=0&sps=0&lo=2&snai=0

View attachment 40398

Wishing you Good luck with that storm!! Stay safe.

Thank you for the link, I like the free shipping and "make an offer" details. Thanks again, and also the comment about the storm, we are under mandatory evacuation in the low lying coastal waters on which I reside. Luckily I am at a 25 ft above sea level elevation and only worry about the winds and downed trees. Got gas and two generators with well water, we'll be OK.