Simplicity Tracror Lawn Mower Steering.

Malcolm D

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the above tractor, and find that I have the greatest difficulty in solving a steering problem. There is far too much play in the steering and almost impossible to keep in a straight line, apparently the only solution is to strip and rebuild the steering mechanism. Any suggestions?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Simplicity section.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may be able to do this your self but someone turning the steering wheel would be better. Have someone turn the steering wheel slowly while you watch all that goes on. When the steering wheel is turned and something does not turn with it you have found your problem. from there we can determine what needs to be fixed. Like a bushing or bearing or something else.

Malcolm D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, we have been through that exercise, but are really none the wiser, it looks as if there is no quick fix and we will have to strip the whole steering mechanism.

greendohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have "Steering Drift" on my Prestige, 588 hours.

New to this place but have been reading quite a bit on the web/other places and get the idea that there are plenty of bushings/bearings a wear plate and "J" pate (?) not o mention possible tie rod ends and a couple of collars that need looked at/replaced.

Gonna' comb thru this place and read all I can because I have yet to find a definitive answer.

I understand that if the power steering unit is good then it's the job of replacing all of the bushings and such that will cure the problem.
800 clams is a bunch of money to replace the power steering unit but understand they rarely go bad...is that correct? Or wishful thinking?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No body ever lubes their steering gear and naturally us techs never do it we just steal others peoples money & pretend we do.

It is a lawn mower and thus was built cheaply.
So you have the bushes in the steering stem for starters, then the rack / fan gear on the end of the steering stem, plus the gear that does the turning.
Then there are the tie rod ends , king pin bushes , front cross member bushes and wheel bushes and of course the roll pin that holds the wheel to the steering stem.
If you haven't got a IPL, get one make sure you use the serial number cause they make changes mid season.
most models have rebuild kits for the bushes .

greendohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
No body ever lubes their steering gear and naturally us techs never do it we just steal others peoples money & pretend we do.

It is a lawn mower and thus was built cheaply.
So you have the bushes in the steering stem for starters, then the rack / fan gear on the end of the steering stem, plus the gear that does the turning.
Then there are the tie rod ends , king pin bushes , front cross member bushes and wheel bushes and of course the roll pin that holds the wheel to the steering stem.
If you haven't got a IPL, get one make sure you use the serial number cause they make changes mid season.
most models have rebuild kits for the bushes .

That's actually good news. 'techs never do it" (hard to find a good service shop)
"wear parts" that have been neglected...and can be replaced by anyone with a modicum of mechanical aptitude

I've downloaded all but the "service/shop" manual which I'll do when I've more time...will break out my wallet when I find what I'm looking for.

I'll run this mower with the inherent steering drift in the mean time and take it down for a full front end re-build this winter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good thing about Simplicity is you can replace them.
With a lot of mowers you can't
The one that gives the most grief is the bush at the bottom of the steering shaft as that allows the steering gear to either mesh deeper or shallower in the fan gear.
Very common to have some one come in complaining that their mower will only turn right.