smoking on startup, 1997 MTD 14.5 Briggs

2stroke1971

Threads
So Ive got my MTD project mower to the point where Ive cut the grass 3 times in total at this point. Ive doen a lot of work to it up to this point. As far as the engine goes the only things i had to do was I set the valve clearance, rebuilt the carb and put a new plug in. I did alot of work under the deck, new main pulley, rebuilt the spindles, all new belts.

Each time Ive started it up as Ive been working on it, it smokes a good bit at first. The first 2 times I chalked it up to having the mower up on jack stands for a while, tilted over a bit. On those occasions I took it off the stands and started it up right afterwards.

Today though, it had not been on stands since the last time I ran it, and still it smoked a bit---white/blueish smoke--oil no doubt. For about 3 minutes, pretty bad at first.

After that, no smoke at all, ran and cut like a champ for 1.5 hours in 90 plus degree weather.

Any ideas as to what it could be? Obviously oil is entering the combustion chamber over time and burning off I suppose....head gasket?

Oh yeah, its the Briggs and Stratton 14.5 "I/C quiet" engine
Thanks in advance!