How to clean up leaves from lawn

yorozuya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!

So, I have recently became a homeowner, and there is a small/medium sized lawn belonging to my property. There are some trees on it, and my neighbors also have some huge ones hanging over my lawn.
It isn't hard to figure out where this is going. I will be bombarded with leaves in a few months :laughing:

My question is, how do you people usually deal with this? My property is slightly too big for me to clean it up with a rake all the time, so I did some research online. Came across this article:
https://backyardgadget.com/how-to-get-rid-of-leaves-without-raking/

There are some interesting points there. One of them suggests that I just mulch them up (the leaves) with my lawn mower, and use them as a kind of compost for my lawn.
Have any of you done this before? It sounds good in theory, but I'm afraid I'll have too many mulched leaves and it will just cover my lawn to the point where it's unhealthy for the grass.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello!

So, I have recently became a homeowner, and there is a small/medium sized lawn belonging to my property. There are some trees on it, and my neighbors also have some huge ones hanging over my lawn.
It isn't hard to figure out where this is going. I will be bombarded with leaves in a few months :laughing:

My question is, how do you people usually deal with this? My property is slightly too big for me to clean it up with a rake all the time, so I did some research online. Came across this article:
https://backyardgadget.com/how-to-get-rid-of-leaves-without-raking/

There are some interesting points there. One of them suggests that I just mulch them up (the leaves) with my lawn mower, and use them as a kind of compost for my lawn.
Have any of you done this before? It sounds good in theory, but I'm afraid I'll have too many mulched leaves and it will just cover my lawn to the point where it's unhealthy for the grass.

If you keep after them you can mulch them.

You can't let them get 4 inches deep and then do it. If you have nice grass. IMO.
In my small pecan orchard I mow over them every week...that's seems to take care of them.
When they pile up deep in the back yard I have to sweep/rake them up and put them in the garden or pasture.

I often wonder where those mountains of leaves go.
I have leaves in the fall and in the spring I have them when the live oaks molt...A LOT of leaves!
You go out now and there is not a leaf to be found.

You have to rake at least one LARGE pile for the kids to jump into!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very simple solution to end your leaves problem, it's called a chainsaw ! Ahhh the WIIIIIde open spaces !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Dadillac

Threads
I have been a homeowner since 2001. I raked and bagged the first two years as I was brought up doing it that way. Since 2003 I have been mulching them. There are times that I run the mower every day to keep up on them. But it beats the raking. I will never go back to raking

Don

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you do not have the time to mow daily , have a look at a yard vac.
Lots of them around, not the reversed leaf blowers but real walk behind vacuums or even ride on ones used in warehouses.
make a compost bin is an unused corner of the yard, keep them moist and you will have excellent weed free compost.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure a Greenworks mower is going to up to the task of heavy duty leaf mulching. Some municipalities pick up bulk leaves left at the curb. There's always the option of having them sucked up and hauled away by a private"you rakem 'em, we take 'em" service. That's in addition to methods already mentioned.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a site search with the single word "leaves"
There have been a lot of really smart ideas on here over the years, particularly in the "made it yourself " sub group.

yorozuya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm, thank you for the tips! :smile:
Looks like I'll have to do some more research on the matter.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Rake them into windrows and mulch them with a mower. Can't let them get too thick or matted. You will need to keep after them. With a mulch plate on my rider, I can make a big windrow almost disappear. You would be surprised how little volume dead leaves take up when finely mulched. Set your mower three to four inches high so the leaves will go under instead of being pushed.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rake them into windrows and mulch them with a mower. Can't let them get too thick or matted. You will need to keep after them. With a mulch plate on my rider, I can make a big windrow almost disappear. You would be surprised how little volume dead leaves take up when finely mulched. Set your mower three to four inches high so the leaves will go under instead of being pushed.
Why bother raking into windrows?