Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

efaubert1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I am looking to replace my zero turn. Residential, about an acre, some grade to it. I previously used up a 1999 Dixon 5421 Commercial that the right side hydro started getting weak on. Now I am limited to my 1986 Wheel Horse Workhorse GT-1800 ( which works great) that is like a slow boat to China. I have looked at several brands, read all the reviews I can get my eyes on, and wish to purchase local from a dealer for support if necessary.

My first choice is well out of my price range (Kubota ZG200 series), and locally I have Gravely, Husqvarna, and Cub Cadet dealers within 10 minutes of the house. I have ruled out the Gravely based on the pain it would be just to change the oil. The engineer who laid that engine in their didn't think it through. I am now, in my mind, down to Husqvarna Z248F or Cub Cadet RZT LX46. Both have Kawasaki engines, both have fabricated decks. The Cub has no grease zerks save the front wheels and utilizes sealed bearings. So, let the opinions fly, but know that I am not buying a commercial mower. Been there, done that, and I will tell you that it isn't a consideration

charlie50

Threads
Ok, I am looking to replace my zero turn. Residential, about an acre, some grade to it. I previously used up a 1999 Dixon 5421 Commercial that the right side hydro started getting weak on. Now I am limited to my 1986 Wheel Horse Workhorse GT-1800 ( which works great) that is like a slow boat to China. I have looked at several brands, read all the reviews I can get my eyes on, and wish to purchase local from a dealer for support if necessary.

My first choice is well out of my price range (Kubota ZG200 series), and locally I have Gravely, Husqvarna, and Cub Cadet dealers within 10 minutes of the house. I have ruled out the Gravely based on the pain it would be just to change the oil. The engineer who laid that engine in their didn't think it through. I am now, in my mind, down to Husqvarna Z248F or Cub Cadet RZT LX46. Both have Kawasaki engines, both have fabricated decks. The Cub has no grease zerks save the front wheels and utilizes sealed bearings. So, let the opinions fly, but know that I am not buying a commercial mower. Been there, done that, and I will tell you that it isn't a consideration

Cub and Husqvarna both are NOT good machines . I get more of those than ANY other brand through my shop . Too bad about your Dixon . that was a well made unit . i would suggest looking at toro or snapper .

gotomow

Threads
Personally, I'd look into the Toro Timecutter before purchasing either of your choices. For just an acre of cutting I think that both the Cub and the Husky would serve you very well for a long time.

efaubert1

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, after much time and consideration I went with a Hustler Raptor 52" with the 23hp Kawasaki. It wouldn't be my first choice, but the price was unbeatable. Guy bought it and returned it the same week. He said "reverse is too slow". As it turns out, if you put the arms in the bottom two holes instead of the top, the slotted base of the triangle shaped angle adjuster hits the body and won't engage reverse all the way LOL. So they marked it down to $1500. Took it home, moved the control arms to the proper location and it works great. Thank you whoever you are that was unable to address the issue!

I know it is the lower end Hustler, but at least it is a fabricated deck and has the Kawasaki engine. Thanks for the input folks!!