Hello Everyone

Jhodges

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 20+ year old Craftsman garden tractor is having a problem. It has a 20 Horse Kohler. I got tired of buying fuel pumps for it so I Put an electric fuel pump on it. Now at least it will start and it seemed to have plenty of power. Next day it didn’t. I pulled the carb off to clean it but i’m not confident that’s all that is wrong. I don’t have a wiring diagram. Besides the seat and blade control what energizes the solenoid on the carb? Does it stop fuel when energized or when it’s not energized, it does work.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hello :welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is deenergized when you cut off the key.
When you turn the key to run, you should hear/feel it click...that being the little metal plunger inside slamming open.

Will it start now?

Jhodges

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is deenergized when you cut off the key.
When you turn the key to run, you should hear/feel it click...that being the little metal plunger inside slamming open.

Will it start now?

The solenoid works and it will start but it’s not giving me full power. It bogs down. It was running fine and cut off one day 2 passes before I was finished. Fuel filter was empty (almost) with fuel in tank. I’ve had to replace the fuel pump before, a few times so this time I put an electric pump on it and it fired up right away. Sounded good on day one but day two bogs down. Have carb off now cleaning it.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is a twin cylinder I would see if it is firing on both.

While running...pull one spark plug wire and see if engine changes or dies etc.
reverse to other side

gloves and insulated pliers needed