Raptor SD 48 22 hrs destroyed deck belt

rpxr400

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been meaning to get on here and post an update prior to this. I guess better late than never, but this is (sort of) bad news rather than all great. I bought this for residential use - my lawn only, typically cutting about an hour or so per cut.

Let me start with up until now - the machine has been great. Cut quality is fantastic - it disperses clippings wayyyy better than the neighbor's Exmark Quest. No clumping ever.
The only issue I had and (was going to bring it in at the end of the season) was a hot restart issue - if I was cutting for a while and shut it off to move something, etc - the starter wouldn't turn. Sometimes, I hit the key a couple times, and it would restart, other times I had to let it cool down a bit. It wasn't a huge issue, since I didn't turn it off often before I was done cutting.

But - a few cuts ago, I smelled belt burning for a few seconds on occasion when I engaged the belt. I had looked at the belt and didn't see anything odd (maybe I didn't look close enough). Yesterday while cutting, even through the headphones, I heard something wasn't quite right - but when I took them off - nothing sounded odd. I didn't smell belt burning. Then a few passes later, the belt must have jumped at that point, and the deck started shaking and jumping, etc. I shut it down and saw the shredded belt.
Oh - to be clear - the deck was not clogged with grass under the belt covers. I blew that out after every cut. It never had a lot of grass under it.

So - off to the dealer to have it repaired and checked out. I'm disappointed that this happened. Actually, one of the reasons I stepped up from the Raptor was because of the belt issues on them.
I hope they can remedy this and I won't have a recurrence.

Anyway, fingers crossed. If anybody has had similar issue with the SD and had it fixed - what was the remedy? I'll compare it to what the dealer says.

-rick

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been meaning to get on here and post an update prior to this. I guess better late than never, but this is (sort of) bad news rather than all great. I bought this for residential use - my lawn only, typically cutting about an hour or so per cut.

Let me start with up until now - the machine has been great. Cut quality is fantastic - it disperses clippings wayyyy better than the neighbor's Exmark Quest. No clumping ever.
The only issue I had and (was going to bring it in at the end of the season) was a hot restart issue - if I was cutting for a while and shut it off to move something, etc - the starter wouldn't turn. Sometimes, I hit the key a couple times, and it would restart, other times I had to let it cool down a bit. It wasn't a huge issue, since I didn't turn it off often before I was done cutting.

But - a few cuts ago, I smelled belt burning for a few seconds on occasion when I engaged the belt. I had looked at the belt and didn't see anything odd (maybe I didn't look close enough). Yesterday while cutting, even through the headphones, I heard something wasn't quite right - but when I took them off - nothing sounded odd. I didn't smell belt burning. Then a few passes later, the belt must have jumped at that point, and the deck started shaking and jumping, etc. I shut it down and saw the shredded belt.
Oh - to be clear - the deck was not clogged with grass under the belt covers. I blew that out after every cut. It never had a lot of grass under it.

So - off to the dealer to have it repaired and checked out. I'm disappointed that this happened. Actually, one of the reasons I stepped up from the Raptor was because of the belt issues on them.
I hope they can remedy this and I won't have a recurrence.

Anyway, fingers crossed. If anybody has had similar issue with the SD and had it fixed - what was the remedy? I'll compare it to what the dealer says.

-rick

I would think the deck had a bad idler pulley or blade spindle bearing that was putting too much load on the belt when engaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once a belt burns, it is only a matter of time before it falls apart.
Whenever the burned section comes around to the pulley, it burns a little more and then the burned section will slide off one of the pulleys and the belt will shred.
Wearing earmuffs. particularly if they have music coming through them makes abnormalities had to notice.
Simple things like a stick or seed pod can momentarily cause a belt jamb & burn.

rpxr400

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Dealer called - repair is done. They said they checked and realigned the pulleys and replaced the belt - all warrantied.
As for the hot start issue, the service guy said when I dropped it off "just push the throttle control to full and return it and that should do it".
When they called me about the repair being done, another guy said "yeah - the Kohler's do that sometimes - you'll just have to let it cool down a little" :thumbdown:

I'll call Hustler or Kohler on that - because it sure seems like heat soak to me.

mhavanti

Threads
rpxr,

Jack that thing up, lay down on the left side of the machine, shine a light up to the drive belt and the right hand steering rod linkage to see if the belt is rubbing that linkage. If so, take some cable ties and pull it over about an inch. If the linkage isn't being rubbed yet, it probably will and thus tieing the rod over an inch will save having that problem in the future.

Enjoy the little Raptor,

Max

gatorblade

Threads
Just yesterday Sis calls, says her Raptor was smoking. A small stick forced the spindle belt off the pulley, as the pulley valley was so packed with grass the stick had no where to go. I will be making a slot on the outside also so she can clean it better. gatorblade

mhavanti

Threads
gatorblade,

Do this modification instead. Much safer for her and those around her. DSC04709.JPGDSC04710.JPG

Things just vent right on out of the 1 1/8" holes that are chamfered on inner and outer sides of the holes. Plus, all but impossible to get a hand or foot into the belt and pulleys thru those holes unless you are trying hard.

Good luck,

Max

gatorblade

Threads
Thanks Mhavanti, the guard looks oem and sure will work!

strohsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
gatorblade,

Do this modification instead. Much safer for her and those around her. View attachment 40193View attachment 40194

Things just vent right on out of the 1 1/8" holes that are chamfered on inner and outer sides of the holes. Plus, all but impossible to get a hand or foot into the belt and pulleys thru those holes unless you are trying hard.

Good luck,

Max

Those holes drilled in the gaurds are a great idea.
Thanks

mhavanti

Threads
strohsman,

Trick is, chamfer both sides of the holes in order that clippings can slide right on past the shoulders of the holes. Don't want even one clipping trapped and mine doesn't.

All those I've drilled for locals will tell you the same thing. Here is a hole spacing layout. It can NOT be laid over a belt cover. You'll have to transpose the layout with a compass to mark the center line and a rule to find the spacing.

Good luck,

Max

Hustler Raptor SD Belt Cover Hole Spacing Guide.jpg