Stihl trimmer

Rodified

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the process of purchasing another trimmer. I'm definitely going with Stihl. I want to know the Pros/Cons of the bike handle trimmer vs the typical loop handle. I'm looking at the FS131 bike handle. Also, my dad is 78 and insists on using it also, so should I go with the Bike handle and harness or the typical loop handle? Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends what you're wanting to do with your trimmer. For light intricate trimming and edging of maintained lawn areas for relatively short periods a loop handle is the way to go. If you are going to be trimming open areas for long periods or want to use a blade the bike handlebar is the way to go. Because you need to use a strap or harness with a bike handlebar unit, reach is limited...you can't one hand them down slopes and such. It's also very cumbersome to turn them on their side to edge with. They're cumbersome in general really but the strap/harness makes it easier to use them for long periods without tiring. I use my loop handled units 95% of the time.

P.S. - Your dad would probably be more comfortable with the bike handlebar unit with a harness.

Rodified

Forum Newbie
Threads
It depends what you're wanting to do with your trimmer. For light intricate trimming and edging of maintained lawn areas for relatively short periods a loop handle is the way to go. If you are going to be trimming open areas for long periods or want to use a blade the bike handlebar is the way to go. Because you need to use a strap or harness with a bike handlebar unit, reach is limited...you can't one hand them down slopes and such. It's also very cumbersome to turn them on their side to edge with. They're cumbersome in general really but the strap/harness makes it easier to use them for long periods without tiring. I use my loop handled units 95% of the time.

P.S. - Your dad would probably be more comfortable with the bike handlebar unit with a harness.

Thanks Daryl G. I spoke with several others that basically said the same thing. I spoke with my Dad as well and being the tough guy he is, he didn't want to wear a harness and feel "trapped". I went on and got the FS 131 R with the loop handle. He tried it and complained the 1st minute or 2 then he liked it. He complains about anything that is new or something that he didn't purchase himself 50 years ago. Anyway I used it as well and it did a great job!! Thanks again for the information.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be sure to get & save the Manuals that are relevant to your new machine ...... WIN D.jpg