Repairs Craftsman LT2000 Drive Belt Installation

dsholt1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Craftsman LT 2000 Rider, Model Number 247.288851. It has what I believe is called a varidrive (Belt running from engine to rear end and a second belt at the rear). Main drive belt broke. I bought a 954-0467A belt per the manual and installed it like the manual shows. The new and old belts match in length, but the new one seems to long. Pedal goes to the floor and will not return. At the floor the belt just starts to get tight. I can see where the old belt has rubbed in spots and it looks installed right. Clearly I'm missing something. I can't find any pictures or videos that shows this exact model. Any advice would be great, pictures would be awesome. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three areas of concern in solving this problem. One, with this type of drive it is always recommended that you replace both drive belts at the same time, you never know which one is causing the problems. Two, are you sure the the belt is routed correctly and the springs (there are two of them) are installed and putting tension on both idler arms. Three, did you check to see if the sliding shive on the variable speed pulley is moving up and down freely. No movement means very little if any drive.