briggs and stratton with normal oil change

dan1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello is there a push mower on the market with a briggs and stratton motor that does not have the never change oil feature?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can change the oil in the no oil change engines just like the normal engines.

Russ2251

Threads
Any Briggs & Stratton mill that is not designated the new EXi engine will not have this feature.

SidecarFlip

Threads
What is a 'no oil change' feature? Sounds like impending doom for an internal combustion engine to me or are the motors built so cheap that they will only last one oil fill? Sounds wacko to me.

SidecarFlip

Threads

Sounds to me like a guy I know that bought a new Chrysler Pacifica and never changed the oil in 80K miles. It cost him 3 grand for a new engine when that one threw a rod. I would never consider not changing the oil in a small engine, they don't hold that much in the first place.

Russ2251

Threads
It's called progress.
I applaud B&S's boldness.
I often wondered why this was not possible.

SidecarFlip

Threads
It's called progress.
I applaud B&S's boldness.
I often wondered why this was not possible.

You can do it with ANY engine actually. Run it 'till it blows and buy another. Pretty simple really if you want to go that route.

Guess if I was flush, I'd do that with my farm tractors, blow one and buy another for 90 grand.....duh

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is a 'no oil change' feature? Sounds like impending doom for an internal combustion engine to me or are the motors built so cheap that they will only last one oil fill? Sounds wacko to me.

If an engine burns enough oil and must have it replaced, there is no need to 'change' the oil--it's being changed all the time. It's called 'make-up' oil. Caterpillar truck engines had a table in their operations manuals that showed how much the normal oil change interval could be extended depending upon how many gallons of 'make-up' oil is added between changes.

That's the only way I know that the oil change interval could be extended to infinity--have the engine consume a lot of oil.

SidecarFlip

Threads
If an engine burns enough oil and must have it replaced, there is no need to 'change' the oil--it's being changed all the time. It's called 'make-up' oil. Caterpillar truck engines had a table in their operations manuals that showed how much the normal oil change interval could be extended depending upon how many gallons of 'make-up' oil is added between changes.

That's the only way I know that the oil change interval could be extended to infinity--have the engine consume a lot of oil.

Sure that was Caterpillar and not Detroit? I drove Cat powered Class 8 Stars for over 30 years hauling steel and machinery and hardly ever added crankcase oil between changes. Now, Roadway Express used to meter a set amount of crankcase oil into the fuel tanks as the engines ran and then added make up oil as needed. That way, they never changed the lube oil, just kept adding.

I read the caveat on the Briggs website..'just add oil as needed' without changing it. Sounds to me like they plan on enough lube oil getting by the rings that there will be no need to ever change it.

Years ago, I had an Ariens Rocket rear tine tiller with a Tecumseh HH mosquito chaser that I ran for many years and never changed the oil, I just added as needed. Guess Tecumseh engines were ahead of their time....:laughing:

I suspect problems will arise when owners never check the oil level but then I would suspect the motors have a low oil shutdown feature. Some of the posts I read on here leads me ti suspect just that... Don't know where the dipstick is besides running the equipment....lol