Winter Storage Question, Please

Robert1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Will be time soon to put the Mower (basic Toro 22" self propelled) away for the season, and I am always wondering about the best way to do it.
I also have he same question when it is time to put away the Snowblower.

I guess there are a few basic options:

a. I put Stab-oil in the tank, start the engine for a few minutes.
Shut it off, and that's that. (gas stays in the Carb., I guess)

b. Same, but I close the gas valve, and let it run the Carb. dry.
If i do this, any problems with the Carb. seals degrading, as they would now be "dry"

c. Or, some other method ?

What's the consensus of all you experts as to the best technique ? (same for snowblower ?)

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

jp1961

Threads
Hi Bob,

You should at a bare minimum run it out of gas. Some owners manuals, suggested removing the spark plug and squirting some oil into the cylinder and pulling the starter cord a few times to distribute the oil. Seems like a mute point today, as most small air cooled engines don't have a cast iron cylinder liner.

Might make sense to change the oil, replace the spark plug, air filter and sharpen the blade now, as I seem to get very overwhelmed with work in the spring. Plus, doing preventative maintenance can sometimes lead to finding that worn V drive belt thats about to break, etc. In other words find small problems before they become show stoppers.

Regards,

Jeff

SidecarFlip

Threads
Depending on the equipment I either run them dry or use MARINE BLUE STABIL in the gas and fill the tank to the top. On my diesels I add bio-cide to the diesel fuel and fill the tanks to the top with on road diesel, not B20.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
At the end of the season, I put the last of my 2 cycle oil gas mix into my mowers and kerosene or Seafoam (same thing) into the oil and run them till the oil in the mix gets everywhere, about 20 min or so. Then I fill the tank to the top with non-ethanol gas. Around here it is 91 octane. Then change the oil. Grease every zerk and spray lithium grease at all the metal to metal points. Long winters nap time.

Teds

Threads
I tend to run things completely dry at the end of the season. Fresh gas just seems to run better, always.

Agreed, the time to prepare lawn equipment is in the winter and snoblower equipment in the summer. "The lawn needs mowing right now!" is NOT the time to discover problems. When there's a foot of snow, same thing. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way towards reducing anxiety and frustration. The repair shops are always chock-full of mowers in the spring and snowblowers in the winter waiting their turn.