New from Idaho

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

You should be able to find lots of help around here :smile:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Toro section.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you found it. Using that serial number, I come up with a Toro engineered engine for your unit. If you have any more questions please ask us. So far your questions are far more intelligent than many of the self proclaimed garage mechanics. As I always tell my customers, “It cheaper to ask a dumb question, than to pay for a stupid mistake”.

shadesofidaho

Threads
Thank you Rivets, I guess this means I must buy directly from Toro for parts. I hope they ship so I can buy on line. The closest dealer is Boise and that is a 200 mile drive for me round trip and I do not like to go that far. Hoping tomorrow morning will be the oil change. I do need to locate the thing to get the oil filter off and back on I have been doing other projects today so this got put on the back burner. I am mentally preparing to do it though. I feel so much better now with every one helping with how to details.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I understand you bought this unit from a dealer 200 miles away. You you can purchase the filter online using Toro part number 120-4276. Before you do that, check with the repair shops in your area. If they work on Toro equipment, they should be able to get the filter for you, plus they will be able to help you find an oil filter wrench. If you have a small auto repair shop you deal with they may loan you an oil wrench. It’s worth asking, people in your part of the country really know how to help others out of a bind. Please don’t change the oil until you have the filter in hand. That way you will change the filter after you have drained the oil from the engine. If you try changing the filter with an engine full of oil, you’ll have an even bigger mess to cleanup. Good Luck, and if you have any other questions please ask. I’m going to be busy, but there are others willing to chime in when needed.

shadesofidaho

Threads
Actually he bought the mower from some where far. It was totally his deal and he bought it online. It was shipped to us on a big commercial truck and unloaded on a palate to the snowmobile rack on his truck then we bound it down and let the rack down, it was hydraulic, then slid the palate off.Then he finished putting it together. If I sound fuzzy on some of this it was 2013 and he was on chemo and facing a big surgery and I was going 16 directions at one time trying to keep everything going and him too. So anything not important to me at the time to retain I seem to have lost. I am not ready to blame the fact I am approaching 70. Cripes How did this happen???

If I can order online it is so much easier for me as even the closest mower repair shop is 90 miles round trip. I go to that town to do grocery shopping but already have my freezer full at the moment. He left a filter on the work bench in bubble wrap bag and he wrote mower on it. He labeled the oil bottles and other jugs of stuff for me but the label fell off the Toro one. Just his writing Toro. The Ranger has an oil bottle but no oil filters . See I am hoping if I can do the mower oil change I can also do the Polaris Ranger.

There are no mechanics here. Well one on the corner and if I showed you a photo of his place and how he works on things you would not go there either. It is rather horrifying. My town is 160 people most old like me and retired. But YES lots of farmers that will lend me a tool until I can buy one. I still need to go look for that oil wrench. I was focused on another project I really wanted to finish today. I will not start anything until I am sure I have every thing in hand I need.

Again Thank you so much!

Sunday 8-26 Looks like the oil change is not going to happen for this day.I have looked everywhere for the oil filter wrench. Found the generator and two air compressors I thought were long gone. LOL Lots of other fun stuff. Looked high and low. Most things I need step stool to reach. He was a tall man. I am not tall. Been through 5 tool boxes. How could some thing so obvious be so hard to find. I know the round strap thing I am looking for. The other three legged tool I am clueless. Wait I googled it. I will look again. Do not remember seeing some thing like this but it could be there. He was a mechanic. He loved tools. Doesn't every man? Soon I do need to get to mowing as it looks like it could rain any moment. To be continued.

Last edited:

shadesofidaho

Threads
I FOUND the wrench. Ashamed to say it was sitting right next to the oil filter. DOH on me. Since it did not look like what I was looking for I just over looked it . One of the photos on my google search for the three legged wrench made me take a closer look at this thing. It fits the oil filter perfectly. I did find lots of other cool stuff I will enjoy playing with. I used his tools almost as much as he did. I just did not do mechanical stuff with them. I built things as in fences dog houses cat shelters.

8-26-18- Oil Filter Wrench.jpg

And it also looks like I have the right oil filter.

8-26-18- Oil filter Tag.jpg

Now off to mow. I think I will clean up all around on the mower before I get it hot. Going to pull it in under the carport shelter even though I need to move patio table and chairs out of the way a bit. I do not want to get half way into this and it start raining.

Thanks Again Every one.Terrified to do this but onward and upward. Or is it keep cool and carry on??

Editing to say this is almost comical but not quite. Battery is dead on the mower. Trickle charger is on. Now I wait. Still hoping I beat the rain. SMH

Last edited:

shadesofidaho

Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

You should be able to find lots of help around here :smile:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Toro section.

Thanks Catherine, I missed this and managed to find the post again. Good now to know where to go looking for it though. I found it through clicking on my user name. Lucky other forums work this way.

OK Another try at getting this done. The trickle charger should have been on long enough to give me a start. I hope to get through this season and winter before buying a new battery. Seems silly to get one now with only a few weeks of mowing left then have to baby it all winter with the trickle charger. Battery on it must be at least three years old. And I am sure this will bring on a whole nother round of questions. :(

You all are so good to help me with this. Thank you so much!

Chris

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I see your biggest asset if diligence and patience. Take your time, review the videos and you’ll do fine. If you have more questions give us a shout and we’ll be here to help out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
before you touch the oil filter cut a tray from a milk bottle or some thing that is square shape that will slip under the filter.
There is about a cup ( womans measure ) of oil inside it that will dribble out when you loosen it. :thumbsup:
IF woman designed the engine, the filter would hang down so it does not spill when changed, but us blokes never think about cleaning up. :thumbdown:

shadesofidaho

Threads
OK I mowed and got the hose on to drain and the valve open as far as I dare pull it I only have about one quart drained out so far in 30 minutes or more Engine is still warm. but the oil is not coming down the tube? Do I jack up the front end of the mower to help it drain? Book says park it so right side is slightly lower than the left side. That is crazy as it is draining out of the left side. Is my mower dyslexic or?? I can jack it up that way if some one says yes do so? I can not move it otherwise?

Also when I pull that filter off is oil going to go everywhere it too is close to the deck like the drain. Certainly a woman did not design this. LOL

If any one is home here the help would be greatly appreciated.