Engine Turns Strong but Will Not Start

Seafire

Forum Newbie
Threads
The "can" at the bottom of the carburetor is an anti-backfire solenoid. All it does is stop your fuel flow when you shut your engine off. I have a Kohler courage 20hp engine on my mower and I took a Dremel and cut the plunger off the solenoid and installed a manual shut off valve (about $4.00) . Just remember to turn the shut-off valve on when you get ready to mow and off when you are done. If you don't shut it off when you're done you stand a chance of your fuel siphoning into the crankcase---not good!!

Thanks for the head's up, Jerry. I used my grinder and took the plunger down to the top of the seat, re-installed it and mowed all afternoon. I have not yet installed a fuel cut-off so your advice was very timely " chance of your fuel siphoning into the crankcase" -- so I ran outside and pulled the fuel line at the carb and stuck it up in the air above the fuel tank, tomorrow I will find a fuel cut off. Thanks,

Seafire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check if it is working by hooking it up directly to the battery several times.
They rarely fail electrically
However the wire that powers them does get broken, chewed through by mice, melt & short out on the cylinder.

Yeah, I figured it would be rare for a fail, so I did hook it up to 12v DC and the plunger just stood there in all its glory refusing to go down. So I ground it down and stuck it back in and mowed all afternoon. Then Jerry advised about the fuel, so I yanked the fuel line and stuck it up in the air for over night. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah, I figured it would be rare for a fail, so I did hook it up to 12v DC and the plunger just stood there in all its glory refusing to go down. So I ground it down and stuck it back in and mowed all afternoon. Then Jerry advised about the fuel, so I yanked the fuel line and stuck it up in the air for over night. Thanks.

You still have not got it.
No need to pull the fuel line off as the solenoid does nothing other than to prevent the engine sucking fuel through the main jet WHEN IT IS SPINNING.
IT does nothing once the engine is still.
The float valve is what stops the fuel overflowing into the engine when stationary.
If you want something to protect against the float valve overflowing then put an inline tap before the fuel pump so you can turn the fuel off to service the carb, fuel filter or pump.