Husqvarna cth173 won't start! HELP

conorcook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there! new to the forum and I am in need of help,
I was recently cutting my neighbours lawn with a CTH173 husky and it ran out of fuel :/ i filled the machine and attempted to start it up, annoyingly it would not fire! wouldn't even turn over just made a high pitched whine kind of noise
so after a bit of head scratching I figured it might have a air lock in the fuel, (in line fuel filter fitted) however there was flow, oil good,
so I checked the battery and swapped it out with a new one i had for my CTH174 but it just did the same thing! so i figured perhaps its the starter solenoid?
again switched it out for a spare (working) one but again I had the same noise and no turn over from the engine I am all out of ideas!
I normally just work on motorcycle engines so I'm not sure where to go from here!?
If anyone could help I would be very grateful!

Thanks Conor

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the starter bendix, making sure that it is engaging the flywheel. Would help if you would provide us with the engine brand and all numbers off the ID tag, so we knew what you are talking about.

conorcook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you check the starter bendix, making sure that it is engaging the flywheel. Would help if you would provide us with the engine brand and all numbers off the ID tag, so we knew what you are talking about.

there is no starter movement at all, if it was the bendix not engaging then I'm assuming the starter would turn freely?
I can't get details as I'm not at home just now. but I will get more once I am back.

conorcook

Forum Newbie
Threads

also "so we know what you were talking about"? i feel like i have explained it fairly well :laughing:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
there is no starter movement at all, if it was the bendix not engaging then I'm assuming the starter would turn freely?
I can't get details as I'm not at home just now. but I will get more once I am back.

yes, it would probably make a high pitched whine kind of noise...when you try to start it.

What makes you say "no starter movement"
pretty hard to tell if shaft if spinning...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You came here for help, but now you tell us we are not bright enough to have our answers considered. I to know what I am talking about and if it has an electric starter, it has a bendix drive. If the bendix is worn, the starter will spin (your high pitched whine), but the bendix will not engage the flywheel ring gear. Why don’t you provide us with the engine brand and numbers? Can’t really help you much, if you don’t want to help us.