Leaking carburetors on old HR214SX mowers

jsalis57

Threads
It is a Honda so each & every part is available as a single item or as a rebuild kit.
Honda have been fighting the Chinese knock offs so the prices on genuine Honda parts has plumeted

Ha v e any links to share? I checked Amazon and only saw the float but not the valve.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ha v e any links to share? I checked Amazon and only saw the float but not the valve.

Thanks!

If you value being able to but parts for old, obscure or unpopular mowers, Amazon is a place you should avoid like the plague.
Amazon is a parrasite destroying retailing anything other than the most popular parts for the most popular engines ( popular everything actually ) and cheap imported stuff that is landfill in disguise.
So do something bold & brave and try a Honda shop.
Parts Nation have always been good to me, amd guess what they might actually know what parts you need & supply the right ones, not the cheapest ones sourced from China.

jsalis57

Threads
If you value being able to but parts for old, obscure or unpopular mowers, Amazon is a place you should avoid like the plague.
Amazon is a parrasite destroying retailing anything other than the most popular parts for the most popular engines ( popular everything actually ) and cheap imported stuff that is landfill in disguise.
So do something bold & brave and try a Honda shop.
Parts Nation have always been good to me, amd guess what they might actually know what parts you need & supply the right ones, not the cheapest ones sourced from China.

I agree about Amazon. I have used Boats.net and they were great. I’ll try parts Nation too.

golfergordy

Threads
Wouldn't shutting off the fuel valve after every use stop the leaking?

jsalis57

Threads

I do and it does. However, you should not HAVE to to keep from the carburetor from leaking. I never did shut the valve off before for 25 years with my original Honda 214.

Perhaps I was just lucky not to have it leak? I know the owners manual suggests to turn off, but i did not think that was for each time you were not using it or if it was more for long time storage in the Winter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

If the float leaks when the engine is shut off then it will also leak when the engine is running.
If it is leaking when running then you may be running rich due to the fuel level being too high in the float bowl so JSALIS is quite right about it needing to be fixed.

Turning the fuel off when not in use should technically not be necessary .
However I fit taps & instruct owners to shut the fuel off as a belts & braces approach cause it is easier to turn off a tap than clean leaked fuel out of an engine, replace head gaskets or even bent cranks.
At least weekly some one posts to the forum that their engine is blowing smoke or is cranking hard.
They get asked to check the oil then come back with it is too high or tell us they changed the oil and there was too much in there

jsalis57

Threads
If the float leaks when the engine is shut off then it will also leak when the engine is running.
If it is leaking when running then you may be running rich due to the fuel level being too high in the float bowl so JSALIS is quite right about it needing to be fixed.

Turning the fuel off when not in use should technically not be necessary .
However I fit taps & instruct owners to shut the fuel off as a belts & braces approach cause it is easier to turn off a tap than clean leaked fuel out of an engine, replace head gaskets or even bent cranks.
At least weekly some one posts to the forum that their engine is blowing smoke or is cranking hard.
They get asked to check the oil then come back with it is too high or tell us they changed the oil and there was too much in there

On mine I have no leaks whatsoever when operating the mower. I would assume the engine is using the fuel at a rate greater than the rate of the leak.