Why not reseed during the summer ?

MowerMark

Threads
Need to reseed some areas of a Bluegrass lawn. The seed company said to not reseed during summer. Why not? They had no answer. I've reseeded many times during this summer by keeping the top soil moist/wet four times a day.

Other than the increased frequency of water applications, why not reseed during the summer?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
During the heat of the summer, the grass does not have the ability to create a good root system. That is the most important thing for grass. Nice strong and deep roots.

MowerMark

Threads
During the heat of the summer, the grass does not have the ability to create a good root system. That is the most important thing for grass. Nice strong and deep roots.

But if the summer is not hot, then it's okay?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
60's and 70's is not hot.

Teds

Threads
Bluegrass does have favorable soil temperatures for germination during the summer in many regions. I sowed some seed on the 19th of this month on a couple troublesome tall fescue patches I killed off earlier this year, just to see how summertime sowings work. If reasonable germination does not occur for some reason, there should be enough time left this season for another go. We've had favorable rains this summer though, soil moisture is good at depth and the turf didn't ever enter dormancy.

The key for Blugrass germination is to keep the soil slightly damp for AT LEAST two weeks straight. Not soaked or waterlogged, damp. This may mean several light waterings daily in the heat of the summer. I think that's the problem. It's one thing to fill in patch or two, but large areas would need careful monitoring. Cooler fall temperatures and the probability of a little help from mother nature increase the odds of success.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I'm a commercial forage grower (hay) and when I overseed or re-seed a field, it's always in the fall. Reason being is that during the winter and into early spring when the seed germinates, it develops a better root system and has a higher rate of germination and alfalfa seed is very expensive to begin with. When I seed, I mix the alfalfa seed with 46% granulated urea and broadcast it on with a 3 point mounted spreader then go over it with spike drag set to smooth out the seed and further distribute the urea. Been doing that for years.

Teds

Threads
I guess it also depends on your definition of "summer". Around these parts Aug 15 - Sep 15 is considered a good time to plant grass seed. Mostly. So I was early though not by much. Every season is a bit different, naturally.

The seed planted on the 19th popped today, 100% Midnight Blue. Not exactly a fast germination cultivar. So about a week or so to see color under favorable conditions. This is about par for around here if past experience is any guide. Temperatures have been in the 55°- 85° range with plenty of timely rainfall.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Weed germination and competition is at a peak in summer too. I won't seed in spring let alone summer unless the property is going on the market or it's bare soil that is suceptable to erosion or some other very good reason.