Oil Leak

slharman1

Threads
I just bought a Troy Bilt Mustang XP 42, model #17ARCACS011 and it has a Kohler 7000 series KT725-3012, Ser #4428000793.

I believe the engine is a 2014 model and was covered in oil gunk when i brought it home.

I pressure washed it as per a lawn mower repair shop in the area and I am trying to find the oil leak.

It was all over the back end of the motor, covering the valve covers, linkage, and when I took the cowling off of the top, there was oil grime all over the heads, in the fins, and under the cowling.

It was so thick i was scraping it off with a screwdriver before using some citrus degreaser then pressure washing.

I guess my question is this - is there a known issue with this build leaking oil anywhere besides the valve covers(stamped steel)? Could this just be 4 years of poor maintenance?

I have started it and brought it up to temperature and now letting it sit to see if I can find the oil leak.

Any help on finding where the leak is coming from would be very helpful. I rebuilt a kohler single cylinder about 25 years ago and everything worked out well.

Really don't want to do that again if I can help it.

Thanks for any advice - it is greatly appreciated.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First I would check the all the bolts for correct torq settings. Then go from there.