RZT 50 having problems

dmc1620

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a RZT 50 that is 8 years old and the right side seems to be getting weak especially when in a hard cut. This seems to get worse as the mower heats up. After a half hour or so in a hart cut it will almost stop. I have been cutting about 3 to 4 acres here and not sure how much I need to put into an 8 year old mower. I just replaced the deck and wouldn't you know now the transmission on the right seems to be failing. My question is what should I check that might be my problem before I jump into a very expensive repair. Thanks for any help.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a RZT 50 that is 8 years old and the right side seems to be getting weak especially when in a hard cut. This seems to get worse as the mower heats up. After a half hour or so in a hart cut it will almost stop. I have been cutting about 3 to 4 acres here and not sure how much I need to put into an 8 year old mower. I just replaced the deck and wouldn't you know now the transmission on the right seems to be failing. My question is what should I check that might be my problem before I jump into a very expensive repair. Thanks for any help.

If serviceable unit...
change oil and filter

check belts for slippage and pulleys for free wheel.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I change both units (left and right) on my M60 Tank every 2 years, oil and filters and HydroGear makes a nice oil and filter change kit. First couple years I bought the filters separate and used 15-40 Rotella but now I buy the kit and use it. Much easier.

dmc1620

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replys I'm going to try and change the oil if I can figure out how. Anyone know if the RZT 50 has a filter?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

SidecarFlip

Threads
Look down underneath from the back at the transmission units. If there are filters (one on each) they will be visible on the outboard sides of each transmission and the usually have a cover over them to prevent damage. Easiest way to drain the old fluid is pulling the filters and if you want to get every last drop, loosen the 4 bolts on the lower regulator (directly under the input drive but on the bottom of the transmission case). That will get all the oil out. Don't completely remove the cover, just loosen it. It is spring loaded and only goes on one correct way. Sealing is via '0' ring, no gasket.

Filling can be a PITA without the Hydro-Gear change kit. Main reason why I got the kit in the first place. Hydro Gear provides a fitting that goes in the upper case that allows an almost complete fill quick while filling through the connector hose (to the resivour) can take a long time. Done it both ways before. The Hydro Gear kit is light years easier.

People tend to neglect the transmissions and they need fluid changes and filter changes regularly. I do mine every 2 years.

Mower King

Threads
The RZT 50 transaxles are not serviceable.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The RZT 50 transaxles are not serviceable.

EZT are serviceable. They are called sealed units by the manufacturer and the company's that use then call then unserviceable. They are not as easy to service but are serviceable. They are even rebuildable. It cost a fraction to rebuild as to replace. When I changed the oil in my Husqvarna I removed them as a unit and drained and refilled in about 2 hours.