Anyone use a grass blade on their trimmer?

javjacob

Threads
I got a grass blade for one of my Stihl FS94R's and the install kit has a barrier bar that mounts on the loop handle and a different shield for the head. Is it really necessary to install the new shield and barrier bar? I just don't see it actually doing much over just leaving the original shield.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blades on loop handled trimmers are dangerous. If you hit something it can bounce off or kick back into you. Yeah I know it's "only" a grass blade but it's a blade that wouldn't have any problem sinking into your shins.

I only run blades on my bike handlebar unit along with clipping it into a harness. I will run a plastic flail-type head on my loop handled trimmers. I use my legs every day and can't afford to get hurt. What you choose to do is up to you but I wouldn't recommend running any type of blade on a loop handled trimmer. You just don't have enough leverage on it. I would recommend at least going with the barrier bar.

javjacob

Threads
I will put the barrier bar on. The blade is for tall grass/weeds that clog up with the string head. I use my hedge trimmer and chainsaw for the thicker stuff.