Muffler glowing red in the day light

dscurry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new here glad I found this I am working on a YTH 22V46 (96045004500) - Husqvarna Yard Tractor (2013-08) I replaced the carb new spark, replaced the head were the pistions are. Fired it up and it was smoking oil out the exhaust and back firing. I cant locate the specs to adjust the valves in MM the exhaust valve is opening but only a little. I noticed that on the front cover were it says ovh it seemed like it had too much compression. I am not sure how to adjust the carb also. Any input would be great thanks in advanced. It has a briggs and straton on it.

Lost

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs engine # would be helpful.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dear lost,
Trying to understand what you are saying has me just as lost as you are.
You know what you have done we have nothing more than the words you posted which quite frankly make no sense .
So please try to explain yourself more clearly, think of us as deaf dumb & blind.
If you do not know the name of a part , look up your mower on one of the parts retailers web site, like Jacks Small Engines or Partstree.
Listing them by name and part number is a big help
If we can not understand what you are saying it will be very hard to offer any meaningful help.
For a muffler to glow red one r more of the following needs to be happening.
1) engine running too rich, but not rich enough to 8 stroke
2) spark to be happening too late so fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens
3) exhaust valve opening too early ( before all the fuel has burned )
4) exhaust valve not sealing 100 % so some of the burning fuel passes into the exhaust
5) engine not firing every time so unburned fuel is burning inside the muffler.

IT is quite common for an inch or so of the headder pipe nearest the head to glow red hot as the gasses coming out are very hot.

dscurry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear lost,
Trying to understand what you are saying has me just as lost as you are.
You know what you have done we have nothing more than the words you posted which quite frankly make no sense .
So please try to explain yourself more clearly, think of us as deaf dumb & blind.
If you do not know the name of a part , look up your mower on one of the parts retailers web site, like Jacks Small Engines or Partstree.
Listing them by name and part number is a big help
If we can not understand what you are saying it will be very hard to offer any meaningful help.
For a muffler to glow red one r more of the following needs to be happening.
1) engine running too rich, but not rich enough to 8 stroke
2) spark to be happening too late so fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens
3) exhaust valve opening too early ( before all the fuel has burned )
4) exhaust valve not sealing 100 % so some of the burning fuel passes into the exhaust
5) engine not firing every time so unburned fuel is burning inside the muffler.

IT is quite common for an inch or so of the headder pipe nearest the head to glow red hot as the gasses coming out are very hot.

Engine is Husqvarna 000000000

ENGINE B S MODEL 44R677-0004-G1.
Part I ordered from amazon Briggs & Stratton 796026 Cylinder Head Replaces 794123 796005 794223 793990
To set the valves correctly I need the gaping I cant find it any were. The whole muffler glows red. It back fires and runs but the base of the muffler smokes like its on fire and is red hot. I hope this helps.

Thank you

Threads
The Gap on your valves are 4 thou and 5 thou ....... I go 4 and 4....... also a few others on here ...........

I don't mean to step over Bert at all... Just giving info.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the whole muffler glowing Red also sounds like a very LEAN condition. Meaning you may have intake leak that is sucking in too much air to have a balanced air to gas ratio.

dscurry

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Gap on your valves are 4 thou and 5 thou ....... I go 4 and 4....... also a few others on here ...........

I don't mean to step over Bert at all... Just giving info.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Thanks for the reply. I have tried setting both at 4 and 5 and there is not enough compression for it to start. When I am adjusting them should they both be out or in.

Thank you.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Adjust one at a time, but you must bring that cylinder up so if the intake it all the way closed, adjust that one. But you can't guess, this is something that needs done properly.

dscurry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Adjust one at a time, but you must bring that cylinder up so if the intake it all the way closed, adjust that one. But you can't guess, this is something that needs done properly.

ENGINE B S MODEL 44R677-0004-G1.

I have set both to 4 and I have no compression to start the tractor. Both valves were adjusted in the out position. Any suggestion any one.

Thanks

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can only adjust valve lash when that said valve is completely closed...

If you are adjusting when valves are open, that is the no compression problem.