Ariens Max Zoom 60" PTO troubleshooting

nuny0biznes

Forum Newbie
Threads
After using the search to see if this question has been posted before, I didn't find any that quite deal with this question specifically. Okay, my question is, what is the proper method to troubleshoot a PTO that has stopped working? To be clear, I was in the middle of mowing when I stopped to talk to my neighbor and shut the mower down. After chatting for about 30 minutes I restarted the mower, engaged the PTO and mowed about 50 feet when it stopped mowing. The button doesn't make any sound when pushing in or pulling out. There is no clicking or any other indication that something has happened. Before I blindly go buying parts I would like to troubleshoot the whole PTO system. I have some experience with a multimeter but I have no idea what to check and what the correct readings should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the very least if someone could acknowledge this post so I know that I didn't screw up in posting to the forum.

dfbroxy

Threads
You are in the right place. Someone will be on soon that can help you with all the electrical troubleshooting that has more expertise than me. In the meantime you could look at your clutch to see if electrical connector has corroded or come loose, then follow wire as far as you can to see if it has a bare spot grounding out. Also with the multi meter test the battery with the mower running full throttle to see if charging system is strong enough to run clutch. Post your results along with mowers make and model number and the experts can take over from there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
you have the mower in front of you, we have words on a screen.
So please try to be very specific
Does the engine run , the mower drive but blades not engage
or
Does the mower work at all.
If the latter does the engine crank ( turn over ) but not fire ( run )

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need someone to help you. Someone to sit on the seat and engage the PTO. DANGER. The blades could start working at any time so keep everything out from under the deck. So disconnect the connection to the PTO. Turn on the mower and then the PTO. Check voltage at the plug from the mower, not from the PTO. Should have 12+ volts. Let us know the readings.