Tecumseh engine cranks and dies immediately

the.doc

Threads
I have a Craftsman 536.773500, which is a big string trimmer on wheels with a Tecumseh engine. After years of use it got to where it would crank and then die immediately. I concluded that the problem is that, it burns the prime almost instantly and then dies because it can't suck more gas out of the tank. I thought that, if I took the carburetor apart, I'd see something obvious. I did that and didn't see anything. So my question is, "what causes that problem, and where should I look?"

It's been packed away for a long time now. I'll dig it out, get the model number, and take some pictures.

thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Craftsman 536.773500, which is a big string trimmer on wheels with a Tecumseh engine. After years of use it got to where it would crank and then die immediately. I concluded that the problem is that, it burns the prime almost instantly and then dies because it can't suck more gas out of the tank. I thought that, if I took the carburetor apart, I'd see something obvious. I did that and didn't see anything. So my question is, "what causes that problem, and where should I look?"

It's been packed away for a long time now. I'll dig it out, get the model number, and take some pictures.

thanks

You didn't tell us much info about the engine.

The carb has a bowl on the bottom of it.
Take it off by removing the nut in the bottom.

Be careful with rubber gasket.

The nut you removed has a hole running two directions.
Run a small wire through both ways and clean out those holes.
Clean bowl...
drain old gas and put clean/fresh gas in tank.
Put it back together with care on placement of the rubber gasket...and you should be good to go.

the.doc

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I've decided that I pulled the trigger too soon in starting this thread.

I found another thread from a couple of years ago that's about the exact same Craftsman string trimmer. I'm going to try getting that one going again.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/36738-5-h-p-Tecumseh?p=308035#post308035

The primer bulb and that gasket you told me to be careful with are hard enough that I think they'd break if I bent them much. Given that I have to replace them and given the prices I'm seeing for aftermarket replacement carburetors, I think I'll start by getting a whole new one. The main thing now is to be sure that I order one that will work on this machine. There are so many model numbers, and Craftsman didn't put any of the Tecumseh numbers anywhere, and cross-reference pages for that are hard to find online right now, and they don't always seem to agree. However, i've found a lot of listings on eBay; I think I'll try one.

The inside of this thing is astonishingly clean, which is why I'm so puzzled by the problem that I have with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This info might be of help in your search. Your unit should have an engine model number of 143985012. This number should cross to a Tecumseh model number of LEV115-350090C. The original carb number should be 640069 which is superseded by number 640262A. Hope this helps you out.

the.doc

Threads
Never reported back on this. Found a local guy who repairs mowers. He put on the new carburetor, and it cranks and runs. Does not like to start when hot; when it runs out of gas, I decide that I've done enough for the day.