Husvarna - Surging and backfiring

jasonzns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna - RZ5424 with 24 hp Briggs and Straton Endurance engine.

Symptom - mower will operate fine for about 15 minutes where it will gradually begin to surge. Tall grass will cause the issue to happen much sooner.
Engine will surge to the point of backfiring and eventually die. If I let the engine cool for an hour and try again it will last another 10-15 minutes before the issue reoccurs. Recently the problem went away and I made the connection that it was related to my gas cap however the issue is back with a vengence. I should also note that when the surging occurs if I attempt to turn the mower quickly it will cause it to die. Makes me think its flooded and the sloshing motion kills it.

I have removed the carb and replaced the jets/o-rings and thoroughly cleaned the carb (3 cans of carb cleaner). replaced air filter and spark plugs. replaced all the gas with 89 octane....

Im looking for the next troubleshooting step. Is this carb related or do I need to move on to other things?

I am not a mechanic but can accomplish most tasks with a little help troubleshooting . I have watched several youtube vids on this type of issue and Im now out of ideas. Any thing is appreciated

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Surging is always due to lack of fuel.

So either not enough fuel is getting through the carb or air is entering after the carb

The last is the easiest to rule out.
Get a trigger pack, not a spray can with WD 40 or similar in it start the engine and spray all around the manifold & top of the carb.
Spluttering & white smoke = air leak.

If no joy there then rotten fuel lines, blocked fuel filter, faulty fuel pump ( where fitted ) blocked fuel tank outlet ( floating debris ) blocked tank breather blocked tank vent.
Pick one ,or two or three if you are greedy

Malfunctioning fuel solenoid on carb , replace it with a bolt for testing purposes.